Forum Discussion

AndrewKonopacki
Qrew Member
3 years ago

Adding a counter to a value from parent table and saving in child table.

I have two tables, Projects and Samples. Samples is a child to Projects. One to Many Samples per Project. 

I want to populate a field in a Samples Record with a number from the Project (Project ID) and add to it the following (-01) going up incrementally by 1 whenever I add another sample.

Example:

Project:Project ID = 22220000

Samples: Sample Number: 22220000-01

If I come back later and add another sample it would be 22220000-02, and so on. The counter starts at 01 if we are in a new project adding related samples. I hope I'm explaining it properly.  

------------------------------
Andrew Konopacki

2 Replies

1. You need to create summary field in Project table(number of Samples), lets say you name it Counter
    2. Bring Counter field as a lookup into Samples table ==>Project - Counter
    3. Create numeric  field in Samples Table ==> Counter(SS)
    4. In field (Counter(SS))  settings under Advanced section change it to as in image(below)
    5. Your Sample Number formula needs to be as below

I haven't try it. If [Counter(SS)] =0 for first Sample Record you can add 1 in formula ==>NotLeft(ToText(101+[Counter(SS)]), 1)
    I hope this help.
    Thanks

Razi D.
    Desta Tech LLC
    razi@destatechs.com
      RaziD_
      Qrew Cadet
      Andrew;
      If you think you may delete Sample Record in the future, instead of creating summary field in Projects table create a numeric field and increase value in this field(+1) everytime you add new Sample record with webhook or automation or another way.
      Thanks

Razi D.
      Desta Tech LLC
      razi@destatechs.com