Forum Discussion

LoriDavidson
Qrew Trainee
5 years ago

AS400 data transfer to Quick Base

Hi, has anyone successfully transferred data from the AS400 to Quick Base?  If so, can you let me know how it was done?

Thank you in advance for your help.

------------------------------
Lori Ann Davidson]
Hamilton Executions, LLC
New York, NY
646-300-1969

2 Replies

DonLarson
    Qrew Commander
    Lori,

Data migration regardless of the source is always a challenge.   I assume that you have multiple related tables in the AS 400 and you need to maintain the integrity of the data.

If the data architecture is extremely simple, you can export the tables from DB2 and one by one import them to Quick Base. 

Every time you load a parent table in Quick Base, you will have to export out the data with the new Record ID# and put into the child records before importing them into Quick Base so that all the relationships are maintained.

This scenario is not very likely.  It has been a long time since i logged onto an AS400/ eSeries machine and was never a developer in COBOL 400 so getting out your tables could be tricky.

What you really need is to get whoever built your new Quick Base application to discuss with your AS 400 expert a strategy to write scripts to move the data.

Don Larson
    Paasporter
    Westlake OH
  • Most users end up using QuNect to interface between an ODBC database and Quick Base.  The Founder of QuNect, Claude, was an original architect of One Base which was sold to Intuit in the early 2000's and then rebranded as QuickBase.  So Claude is very good, technically.  I don't do this work, but most technical people who understand databases, seem to be able to get the QuNect to work for them.

https://www.qunect.com/

Mark

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com