Forum Discussion

DanielJohnson2
Qrew Trainee
3 years ago

Automate away Export/Import with Pipelines?

Hi All,

I'm trying to understand if it's possible to create a record in a child table that would trigger a Pipeline to export parent records based off the fields entered in the child table, then, change the values in those fields, then import the resulting records. The scenario is we have project sources related to projects, sometimes numbering in the hundreds, that would be suitable for use on other projects. Those project sources all have master sources so that the same base data can be used on multiple projects while keeping track of key events that we can track of the lifetime of the master source. At the moment, if a new project is similar to an old project, then I export those project sources to CSV, change the related project values to equal the new project, and change the name of several fields because they weren't automatically matching upon import. Then I go through the import process in QB. What I would like to do is create a new child table where I would input the old project, the categories of sources I want to keep from that project (and possibly one other field in the project source table like status), then input the new project and the new category to put those sources in, and when I save and close that would trigger the Pipeline to grab project sources from the old project based on the values in that new record, change some of those values based on the values in that new record, and then import those newly modified records back into the parent table.

What do we think? Possible? At the moment I'm getting tripped up on how to make two different selections for old and new projects in the same child record.

Thanks

------------------------------
Daniel Johnson

1 Reply

• For anyone who finds this later on, I found a solution! Instead of trying to recreate the exporting of a report to a CSV and then importing it after changing some values, I instead approached the problem from a record by record basis. That is to say, I created the new child table and a form for that table that asks for the previous project (table-to-table relationship 1) and some other criteria I can use in conditional queries throughout the pipeline, and the new project (duplicate of table-to-table relationship 1). Creating that child record triggers the pipeline, Step A. Step B is to search for records that have the same related project ID as I just entered in the form for the old project, and similar data from those other fields. Then, Step C takes each record the pipeline finds that meets those criteria and it creates a new record using some of the data from the original record, but inputting the related project ID for the new project based on the new child record from Step A.

Daniel Johnson