Forum Discussion

JENNIFERPASCHAL
Qrew Trainee
4 years ago

Automations/user Roles

Hello,

My application needs to accept records in two different statuses "Draft" and "Review". I have a check box that the user can select to have the record save as a draft (using an automation to say whenever a record is added and check box is checked, set status to Draft). I am doing the same for Review - whenever a record is added and save as draft is not checked - set status to Review.

This was working well but now the business case has changed. Now, based on user roles, the record should save as a Draft automatically OR they user should have the option. The two user roles are Submitter and Manager.

If a user in the Submitter role adds a record, the record should always come in as a Draft.
If a user in the Manager role adds a record, they should have the option to save as a draft.

Any ideas on how to accomplish this? My automations no longer work since the Submitter does not have access to the check box, they will always come in as unchecked which previously meant set status to Review.

------------------------------
Thanks in advance,
Jennifer Paschal

9 Replies

• One choice is to kill the Automaton and rely on Form Rules.  Firm Rules can see the User Role easily.

You will need two form Rules.

Rule #1
    When the user is not in the Role Manager, make Read only Status.

Rule #2
    When the multiple conditions are true

When
    The user is not in the role Manager
    The Status is blank

Action
    Change Status to Draft

and then remember to uncheck the check box at the very bottom so the rule fires all the time.​​

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      JENNIFERPASCHAL
      Qrew Trainee
      ​I turned off the automations and added rule 2 from above and 2 additional rules for the manager (shown below). The status field is always read only to the user so I did not include that rule. When I tested as the Submitter and added a record the status is blank. Any idea what went wrong?

Thanks in advance,
      Jennifer Paschal
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        Do you have any pink form rule warnings.  The 2nd Rule in your screen shot should work for the Role Submitter.  I don't see anything wrong with it.
        As a debugging idea, if you temporarily disable the other rules and just leave that rule for the Submitter, does it work OK?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com