Forum Discussion

NateKurtz
Qrew Trainee
4 years ago

Bulk Add Records with Two Parents

I have three tables that are related.
Tickets have many Ticket Assets
Assets have many Ticket Assets

We did this to let us have an Asset with many tickets and a Ticket with many assets. This is working great for us so far, however I am running into an issue where i want to bulk upload Assets and assign them to Tickets (creating Ticket Assets to make that happen).  I am fairly sure i can bulk upload the assets, create a ticket, then bulk upload ticket assets with the related fields filled in.  However i was wondering if anyone had an easier way of doing this? 

My current idea was to upload the assets with a identifier field that relates to the location the ticket would be assigned to.
Then i would add the ticket and have an automation trigger to create a Ticket Asset for every Asset record that has the same location. I have not been able to get this to work however as the only field i can fill in when doing this is the record ID (key field) of the asset. 

Any suggestions of a different direction or a way to get this to work would be appreciated!

------------------------------
Nate Kurtz

2 Replies

• There are a couple of ways you could go about this. Probably the easiest would be to switch around your process a bit. Here's how I would work through this process:

Application Changes:
    1. On the Assets table, add a numeric field called 'Temp Ticket'
    2. Create a Table to Table import using the Asset table as the Source and the Ticket Assets table as the Destination 
      1. Filter on the 'Temp Ticket' field
      2. Record ID# from Assets should be 'Related Asset'
      3. Temp Ticket from Assets should be 'Related Ticket'

Process:
    1. Create a Ticket and note the Record ID#
    2. On the CSV for the Assets, add a column for 'Temp Ticket'
    3. Enter the Record ID# from the Ticket into the 'Temp Ticket' column
    4. If any Assets are existing, be sure to have the Record ID# for the Asset also on the CSV in a column named 'Record ID#'
    5. Upload the CSV to the Assets table
    6. Run the Table to Table Import created previously
    7. Clear the 'Temp Ticket' field on the Assets table

Blake Harrison - DataBlender.io
    Quick Base Solution Provider
      NateKurtz
      Qrew Trainee
      Thank you for this!  I ended up using part of this for the solution but you lead me to it!

If it helps anyone else, what i did was.

Created the Temp Ticket Field
      Created an automation to run when a new asset record is created and the Temp Ticket field is empty.
      Had the automation create Ticket assets where the "Related Ticket" ="Temp Ticket" (it relates the asset automatically)
      Then to keep it clean i had the automation clear out the Temp Ticket field. 

This runs a bit slower however it makes it easier for my users as they would only need to create the csv and upload it.

Thanks again for the help!

Nate Kurtz