Forum Discussion

SohumShah
Qrew Member
4 years ago

Bulk Create variable Children from New Parent Record

I have a parent table of barcodes (alphanumeric - NNN#####################), each of which represents a number of child records. The number of child records is determined by manual count and entered as a numeric field in the Parent table. This number may vary from 1 to 500 (maybe more).

Each child record will need a new barcode as well. I will be preprinting barcodes in ascending order with the first 3 (NNN) being a preset combination of numbers and letters and the rest being a number starting with 000000000000000000001.

I have created an intermediary child "batch" table which uses a beginning barcode number (scanned into field) and the number of barcodes in the child batch to create the ending barcode number.

I would like to automatically generate all of the children barcode numbers in different records in the child table when the new 'batch' is entered in the intermediary table. All of the fields will be the same as the parent record, with the exception of the child barcode number.

I have created a field which takes the numeric part of the barcode and converts it from text to a number. If I can get the child records to populate with this number increasing by one for each record, I can recreate the barcode number in the child table using a formula field.

Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
Sohum Shah

1 Reply

• I can picture a way to do this, but we would probably need to work together on a one on one basis to get this working.   It would be to complicated to explain on this Forum.  Contact me via the email address in my signature line if this is of interest to you.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com