Forum Discussion

AlexGale
Qrew Captain
6 years ago

Can I use API_DoQuery to automatically relate records to different parents?

Hi, 

I have a table called ORDERS. When an order is created I want the system to find a record from a separate table, RATES, which matches the values of several fields from that order. I then want to make that rate a parent record of the order. 

At first I thought I could do this using a webhook that triggers an EditRecord action whenever an order is created, but I need to point it at the correct rate.

I have a fairly limited knowledge of the API, but it seems like I should be looking at a DoQuery to find the correct rate. I think I get how I would structure the query itself to find the correct record, but I don't know how to take that response and then use it in an Edit action. 

9 Replies

• Thanks for the link Rob. I'm familiar enough with javascript to get the general gist of what's going on in that code. What I don't understand is how I fit that sort of thing into my app. Until now I've been using the API in a fairly limited fashion, with simple webhooks and url fields and I just don't get how I go from there to using that javascript code in any practical fashion. 
  • I have found luck with code pages. Sorry I can�t expand. I�m on my phone. If no one jumps in I�ll elaborate later when I�m back near my station.
  • Another approach which would be totally automatic and zero code at all, would be to set the Key field of your rates table to be a concatenated field of the fields which make the rate unique.

You can either have a scalar data entry field as the Key field and a form rule to mirror a formula field into that scalar data entry field, or if you are not doing imports, in fact you can set a formula field to be a key field via an API typed into the browser URL.  

Surprisingly, while undocumented, you may have a formula field be a Key field.  The only problem I have had is when importing into the table.

QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      Then you make a relationship down to your detail table based on a formula field to construct the a value matching the Key field of the Rates Table.
      AlexGale
      Qrew Captain
      I appreciate the tip. I may end up doing just this but it's not the ideal solution. The app is pretty built-out and these particular tables see pretty regular use. From experience, changing a key field can end up being a big hassle.
      AlexGale
      Qrew Captain
      Your tip gave me an idea. I created formula fields on both the order and rates tables to concatenate the different field values that need to match. I then created a report link field on the orders table which looks for a rate using those formula fields. 

From there, I created a simple QB action on the orders table which targets the correct rate using the report link and copies the order ID# into a numeric field on that rate. 

Changing that numeric field triggers a second action on the rates table which then modifies the order matching that numeric field to have the rate as a parent. 

It's awkward that it requires two actions but it works. Thanks for your help.