Forum Discussion

BullseyeBullsey
Qrew Cadet
7 years ago

Can QuickBase give us any/all filtering for user permissions?

This has been something that has been sitting in the user voice page for 5 years:  https://quickbase.uservoice.com/forums/111823-quick-base-product-feedback/suggestions/3425151-includ...

It would be extremely helpful.  Right now the only way to really "all/any" filter permissions are through complex formula fields, which are huge time sucks to write and test.

All/Any filtering like we have for reports and form rules shouldn't be too hard to implement, right?  And adding layered rules (all of X true and any of Y true) would be a super bonus.

I'd appreciate any insight, or at least to hear any potential concerns that might come with adding this feature.

Thanks!

10 Replies

MCFNeil
    Qrew Captain
    You can usually take a combination of all those options to filter the information.  

Usually if you work that 'logic' into a formula-checkbox, you can then use that checkbox for the role permissions.

p.s. QB has completely abandoned "user voice
      MichaelBarrow
      Qrew Cadet
      Interesting that you say that about User Voice. What do you know about that? Insider information or just an opinion? Are they shifting to something else? It looks fully operational to me, although that doesn't mean their developers are actually caring about it. One of the main reasons I left Salesforce for QuickBase was the fact that they would come out with 3 new platform updates each year, and nothing they did was ever helpful to me, and nothing I voted for ever got touched. I posted something 7 years ago on their user request forum that was hit-you-over-the-head-obvious that they needed to do, and people are still piling onto it and voting for it today, and they will never do anything about it. Sad. I hope QuickBase keeps pushing on the development and fixing some of these naggy holes in the platform and really listening to us.
      MCFNeil
      Qrew Captain
      About half & half.  Some from conversations at Empower and some from just observations.

For example:
      https://quickbase.uservoice.com/forums/111823-quick-base-product-feedback/status/426339

The 3 items they have listed as "planned" (i.e. They are going to implement them), have already been implemented over 6 months ago, and have not been updated.

That tells me that (1) nobody is monitoring it and (2) of the 500+ requests in there they haven't done anything in 6+ months.  Generally speaking there have been little to no updates from the QB staff in 6+ months. So either they are stuck in Boston traffic still, or they just don't care.

Also, when was the last time you saw somebody from QB actually contribute to the community or moderate any of the discussions.  Its the Wild West out in Citizen Development Land.
      MichaelBarrow
      Qrew Cadet
      I would love to understand why software business models almost universally seem to deemphasize communication and responsiveness to user feedback and requests for platform features. Maybe I'm naive and don't understand their business, but in our business (website development and internet marketing) the relationship with the client is paramount. Our clients will go elsewhere if we stop listening or have a tin ear or don't make good in a reasonable amount of time on our implied promises. Perhaps software development companies think that the stickiness of the platform assures that they can somewhat skip the communication step. I think they are sadly mistaken.

Do you have a higher-up contact person's email address you know at QuickBase who would appreciate reading this thread and has the power to act on it? I'd love to forward this to someone.

Thanks,
      Michael
  • I�m happy to announce that in our release yesterday, we added the ability for you to set up permissions using complex filters (including an �ANY� option)! Please see the release notes for more info:

https://www.quickbase.com/quickbase-blog/november-2017-release-notes

We also added this ability for defining additional criteria for summary fields, and when setting up table-to-table imports.

Thanks,
    Brian
    Product Manager, Quick Base

4 comments