Forum Discussion

StephenStudy
Qrew Trainee
4 years ago

Change default value of Text - Multiple Choice field on newly added record based on logged in user

We have a form that contains a Text - Multiple Choice field.  We want the default value in this field when a new record is added to be based on the currently logged in user.  One user gets one default value and another user would get a different default value when the record is added.  This needs to happen as the record is added and not at the save since other record pickers on the form filter their data based on the value in this Text - Multiple Choice field.  I've spent hours on this and I've not be able to figure out the magic to make this happen.
Thanks!

------------------------------
Stephen Study
Software Development Manager
Robishaw Engineering Inc
Houston TX

4 Replies

• This would be done using a form rule.

make a field called [Current User] with the formula of 

User()

Then have a form rule 
    when multiple conditions are true

All of 
    When [my Text - Multiple Choice field] equal (blank) 
    When [Current user] equals fred.flintstone@slaterockandgravel.com

Action:
    Change 
    [my Text - Multiple Choice field] to "Fred"

Make sure you uncheck that hidden checkbox at the bottom so that the rule fires all the time.

Then,  when that rule is working,  copy the rule to make a new rule and change it to cover Barney.

You should be able to do a "Test as User" to test this.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      StephenStudy
      Qrew Trainee
      Thanks Mark.  I have that working per your suggestion and it works perfectly. 

Now the problem.  We have between 80 and 100 users at any given time depending on work load. Problem 1) management would like not to have to purchase and manage all those paid users in QB (it has been brought to my attention that a kiosk mode scenario is not an allowed use of QB per the TOS so we'll just develop this piece using another tool) and 2) we don't want a line at the app while each user first logs in and then does their task and potentially forgets to log out.  Some quick background.  I'm using QB to replace an aging time tracking system.  The idea is to put a tablet in each shop for the employees to use as a time clock.  An entry on the time clock screen is the "Shop" they are working in (the Text - Multiple Choice field I reference above).  We want this field to default to the location the time clock tablet is in but allow an employee to change that as needed for a time punch entry.  This field once entered filters all remaining fields on the form to reduce errors as employees log time punches on work orders (for instance, which employees work in this shop, which work orders are assigned to this shop)

So my challenge is how to default the correct value in that field based on the tablets location.  My thought is to use a cookie dropped on the computer to indicate the shop for the default in the Text - Multiple Choice.  I've read using JavaScript in a formula field has been deprecated.  So, I've played around with codepages and have actually created one for each shop location that I can run as an admin to drop the cookie on the tablet for it's designated shop location.  But I'm struggling to understand how I use code pages to read that cookie in and use it to drive the default logic for the Text - Multiple Choice field on the Time Clock form.

Thanks for all the help you provide to these QB forums.  I've learned a ton just perusing your answers to all or our questions.  While I've been a software developer for 40 years I'm brand new to QB and your efforts have been invaluable!  

Stephen Study
      Software Development Manager
      Robishaw Engineering Inc
      Houston TX
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        I cannot help you with cookies or code pages.  I would probably make it so the user is seeing a list of the shops and they launch off the shop record to add a time record.  That way they are just pushing a button on a tablet to launch the record and they don't have to fill in the shop from a drop-down field.

You may want to consider whether the juice is worth the squeeze so to speak. I tend to find that once you see the potential of Quickbase there is an infinite wish list of app improvements that are useful to the company.  So do the 90% of easy things quickly and get around to the rest of the 10% later or never.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com