Forum Discussion

WilliamSelvage
Qrew Trainee
5 years ago

Change Orders

Hypothetical situation: There are three tables; Parts, Orders, and Line Items. Parts and Orders have many Line Items.

One part has become obsolete and is no longer able. There is however a direct replacement for this part.

Typically, we would need to open each Line Item and individually change the related part one-by-one.

We would like to create a new table called Change Orders which would track these types of changes. This would store the old related part, and the new related part.

Once a CO is approved, a function is run and the Change Order would swap all the related parts in Line Items, as long as the order has not been shipped.

An added bonus if we can calculate the financial gains/losses from a given CO prior to implementing.

Where would I begin?

Thank you in advance,

1 Reply

• Automations will be your go to. At a high level - the way I might approach it is like this: 

Your Change order has =>
    Related Prior Part
    Related New Part

When its approved - have an automation target all the open items for the order, with that part listed, and edit the 'Related Part' with the Related New Part from your change order. 

In order to track financial gains - I'll make a logical leap here and say that you have some pricing info associated with the Part in question. As part of your automation - you can add a component where: 

In your line items - have the current Related Part update as noted above - and then make another relationship to track the 'Old' Part. You can basically have the two sets of financials run at the same time - and compare what the $ value of the line was under the old part, and what it is now to summarize the net gain/loss

Chayce Duncan | Technical Lead
    (720) 739-1406 | chayceduncan@quandarycg.com
    Quandary Knowledge Base