Forum Discussion

EmilyKarstensen
Qrew Member
6 years ago

Connected Tables across Realms

I am scoping a project where our client will have one Quick Base app that they own, and we potentially want to join it with one under our own realm.

I understand you can't create cross-application relationships between realms, but can you connect tables between realms?

https://help.quickbase.com/user-assistance/connecting_to_other_QuickBase_apps.html

I'm looking to evaluate this as an alternative to using API or other external service. 

13 Replies

• Hi Mark,

I'm writing to this topic, as I would like to implement same solution for our Customer. Customer is holding its own app, we would like to create connected table to our app.
    As per your previous reply I understand that is possible to create connected app between two different companies.
    Each time we try, same error occurs - Invalid token.
    We are trying this the same way we are connecting tables within same company (that works perfectly), but in this case simply does not work.
    Are there any additional permissions/setup steps needed or different levels of QB subscriptions could be behind - in short, is there anything that could prevent connected tables to work between two companies? 
  • I'm sorry, I don't understand the question. Can you please explain a bit? Are there different types of tokens?
  • When you set up a Connected table in Quick Base, like all things Quick Base security comes first.  So the connection will be running under the security credentials of a Userid.  Those can be supplied in the Sync setup screen by a userid and password, but then if the password is changed on that userid the Sync will fail.

So a better practice is to go to the Source App in the userid that owns the connection and then at the top right of the screen and click on the name and then My Preferences and Manage User Tokens, and set up a user Token or add to one that exists to authorize that token (a long string of characters) to access that source app.

That is the token that would be used in the Connection.

• I understand. this is another way to setup the token, but token related to particular user - correct?
    Would that mean that I must have access to the customer's APP too, to be able to see data in my QB?
    Cant we setup connection that will work to all the users of my app without having access to the customer app?

Here is how we setup token and tried to create a connection using authorization type "User Token" only.
  • The single userid which owns the Connection must have access to the Source app in order to access that data and load it into the target app.  

Once the Sync runs and the data is in your own app, then regular permissions apply and regular users do not need to access the Source App.
  • Many thanks Mark!
    Will have another session with the Customer tomorrow and chance to test it.

Will make sure to let you know if worked.
      AleksandarKolar
      Qrew Member
      Hi Mark,

Apologies for coming back with this topic after certain time.

After the successful test in our test app, we have decided to use this approach in daily business, however, again, I'm not able to setup the connection.
      I followed all the steps as before, below is the outcome.
      Can the reason be the fact I'm working from home through VPN, instead from the office?
      I cannot think of any other reason for this.

Your quick response would be highly appreciated.

------------------------------
      Aleksandar Kolar
        EvanMartinez
        Qrew Elite
        Hi Aleksandar,

One small tweak I would suggest is try removing /db/bpqpg5kjed from your Quick Base URL and see if you run into the same issue, that field is meant to just taking the beginning of your URL and not also the app data. Then you would also want to confirm that your user token is assigned to allow access to that app and that the User whose token you are using definitely has application access and access to the table and fields you are bringing over, but I would definitely try adjusting that URL. I hope this suggestion is helpful.

Evan Martinez
        Community Marketing Manager
        Quick Base