Forum Discussion

JonathanSpencer
Qrew Trainee
6 years ago

Copied app behaving differently to original

Hi
I have created a copy of an existing app (data and users/roles).  
I've not changed anything in the copy at all; but when I use a form to edit a record, the app is behaving quite differently.  In particular where a form element is selecting the reference field in a related table.
Here's one of the dropdown pickers from the original:

Here's the same in the copied app - same record, same form:

I don't know if this is relevant, but I spotted a difference in the checkbox for the reference field properties:

here's the same field in the copy - note difference:

Any idea what I need to do to make copy totally identical to original?
Thanks

4 Replies

• I believe that Quick Base has now enabled what is called the Type Ahead record picker for all new apps.  I guess that also applies to a copy of an app.  I suggest that you try the "new" way and you will find that as you type portions of words you are searching for in any of the fields you choose to display, it will dynamically narrow the list of choices.

It's an improved record picker and Quick Base is slowly migrating the user base over to it, starting with new apps.
  • Mmm - doesn't seem all that improved when my copied app stops working!  In original app, I can see the reference field values in the form, but in the copy I can't :

And dynamic form rules copied over to show/hide fields etc. when one of these fields is blank no longer work. :-(

Is there a way to get the copied app top revert to pre January "improved" behaviour?

SuryaExpert
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      With the type ahead search feature, the behavior is different...in a good way. Yes, the differences will cause some issues and they can be fixed pretty easily. For example, in your case, the columns that are being shown when you click on the dropdown arrow needs to be rearranged to make sure the value you are showing on the screen appears first. Without type-ahead search, this order does not affect how the value of the field appears. But with type-ahead search, the column whose value you choose to show on the form must appear first. Let me give you an example:

Let us just say you have a dept table and an employee table. If you choose to show the dept name instead of department record id# on the related department field, in edit mode, it would show the department name, while the actual value of that field is a number. This is before type-ahead search. But after type-ahead search, even in edit mode, it will show the number, if the number and the name appears in the dropdown list, in that order. If you change the order of these fields, to department name followed by record id, then in edit mode, it will show the department name. As for why the form rules behave differently in the old vs the copy, I would need to see those rules and the field names etc. QuickBase support may be able to help you with that. I am not sure if it has anything to do with type-ahead search,
  • I think you should put in a support ticket as this may need some one on one assistance to sort out.