Forum Discussion

RachelJones
Qrew Cadet
4 years ago

create record + add child records in one step

Hello,

Is there an easy way to set up a form so that when I click Save, it first creates the parent record, then creates the child records which are filled in a grid edit format and associates them with the parent?

I'm running into issues because when the user tries to save the record, the required "related parent" field is blank and so the user is blocked from creating the child records. I feel like there must be a way around this with either automations or a formula button.

------------------------------
Rachel Rachel

4 Replies

• Are you asking if you can create a child record and have a parent record be automatically created for it?  I'm not really understanding your proposed workflow.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      RachelJones
      Qrew Cadet
      No, you are creating both parent and children in one step. You know how you can display a report with specific columns on the form and enable it to be editable in add and edit mode? I have that for the child records on my form in both add and edit. So the user fills out some detail about the parent record, then starts to fill in the child records. For example the parent is a Group and the child contains Group Members. The user wants to add group details and add members all in one step.

If you go into edit mode in a Group and add multiple child records via the grid, QB is smart enough to automatically relate them to the parent. But if you do it when adding a new record, there's no Record ID# generated for the parent record yet, so the save fails. (Related Group is a required field for each Group Member).

Rachel Rachel
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion
        Ok, now I understand.  Can you try making the related parent field not required.  I should still fill in on its own when you save.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com