Forum Discussion

MichaelTamoush
Qrew Captain
5 years ago

Duplicate Proxy Field?

Is it possible to duplicate a proxy field, or just use the same field twice on the form? I have multiple tabs, and depending on different scenarios, sometimes i want the user to be able to choose a related field under one tab, and sometimes under another. It's purely a convenience, so that the person can choose from where they happen to be modifying information at that time. Is this possible?

------------------------------
Mike Tamoush

5 Replies

AustinK
    Qrew Commander
    You should be able to place a reference proxy on the form in multiple spots yes. Any field that is already on your form that can be placed again will be highlighted in blue in the list and grayed out if you cannot select it, while on the form builder elements tab.

It might depend on the exact type of field but I just tested it in my case on multiple forms and it worked fine for me. Whatever you pick in one instance of the field will be populated in all the others on the form as well. One was a user field proxy another was just a text reference, both were able to be placed on the form in multiple spots.
      MichaelTamoush
      Qrew Captain
      Hmm. It doesn't allow me to add it a second time. It's grayed out.

***EDIT***.

If I right click and try to 'add field after this one' it will be grayed out and not an option. When I customize form and simply choose from the drop down under elements, I see some fields in blue as you noted, and they can be used in multiple areas. 

Mike Tamoush
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        You are not really supposed to put any data entry field on the form twice.  Ideally, you would have the common data entry fields on the form at the top of the form, and then have tables below for the non common fields.  If you need to display a field on a form twice, you can make a formula field just equal to the field and use the formula field once or more times on the form.

You maybe be able to trick the form into allowing a duplicate data entry field on the form by putting the [Related Parent] field on the from as well as the Proxy field - [Parent Name]. its not really recommended but the system will try to keep the two duplicate fields have the same value.

But the best way is to have common data entry fields in a common section at the top.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com