Forum Discussion

NoahMcBride
Qrew Cadet
7 years ago

Error : Object Reference Not Set to Instance of an Object

I have run into this error a number of times. When I am trying to import an Excel file into QB, I receive this error.

Object Reference Not Set to Instance of an Object

I am referencing an Excel file that has been saved and in the correct file path that I provided to Quickbase.

This problem seems to occur in files that I am importing that are small, so my solution to this has been to include irrelevant data in the Excel file and then leave the data out of the import.

Any ideas why this would be happening and does anyone have a more elegant solution to solving this problem?

3 Replies

• I am receiving the same message today.  I created an .xlsx Excel Workbook file from a table exported from Access 360 Version 2018 Build 14326.21018.  The file has a total of 212 lines, with data in columns A through AL.  When I tried to import the file to QB, I received the Object Reference Not Set to Instance of an Object error.    Out of curiosity, I opened the exported Excel file I created from Access and clicked File, Save As, and resaved the file - overwriting the existing file - and tried the upload again.  I did not receive an error that time and upload was successful.  I made no changes to the file, the extension stayed the same (.xlsx), the naming stayed the same, and I did not edit any cells with the file itself.   Any idea why it would error out the first time?

------------------------------
    Shirley Prater
    ------------------------------
  • I typically save as a CSV before importing--it seems much more reliable.