Forum Discussion

stuazstuaz
Qrew Member
11 years ago

Extract Data from a SQL database into Quickbase fields?

Hi,

Is it possible to have a record in Quickbase, where for example I enter in a code into a field and it pulls data from a MS SQL database into Quickbase fields?

For example we hold our customer data outside of quickbase in a SQL database, but for various reasons want to access this data in Quickbase, so I would like the option when someone creates a new record in Quickbase they can put in an account number and pull across the relevant details from my SQL database?

Now I know there is the qunect offering but it seems to be the other way - i.e from SQL I can access Quickbase via an ODBC connector, but I want it the other way.

Is this possible? Have I misunderstood Qunect's product?

4 Replies

• I think you understand QuNect correctly.  This is probably something that can be done with JavaScript and PHP as long as you have added PHP capability to your SQL Server machine.  I have read about this and it is on my "To Learn" list but not there yet.
  • If you add a web service to your SQL database, then you can use AJAX to retrieve the data. Jquery can grab the account number from the value field in the QB form and add it to a request. Then use AJAX to retrieve the data from the web service and push to QB via QB API or push the data directly to fields on the form via js. If you use the image on load technique, you can add an event listener that executes the js when the account number field is not blank.
    This is just a general overview, but it is possible.
  • Ok that would need a lot of investigation on my part. Figured there might have been a tool out there or something that already could do something similar.
  • Hi 
    I have a similar requirement where i want to keep all my customer , employee data outside quickbase on a sql server. One issue is to get that data on a Quickbase form (as described in this). In addition to this there are other scenarios like

• using the sql server data in a quickbase report
    • Providing a help screen on quickbase form where user can search a customer / employee.
    Does somebody have any success with this kind of implementation AND can share there experiences of cook books?

Thanks