Forum Discussion

ChristineKirk
Qrew Cadet
13 days ago
Solved

Extrapolating nuanced data

Hello again - one more for today!

I'm self-taught in Quickbase and data management altogether. I'm trying to suss out the best way to pull some data. We capture a dataset on consults in our Quickbase. Every call our program receives, gets one record entered into Quickbase. Sometimes callers call us back for more than one consult on the same case. To this end, we have a field capturing "New consult" or "Continuation of consult". Then we capture services performed and patient demographics of the consult.... many situations can transpire in which we got that data on the first call, or on a subsequent call, and it's quite varied (for instance, first call may be very brief, they give us limited info and say they'llc all back/we don't get that info right then, but do on the longer subsequent call; the inverse of that, they call, we spend meaningful time, capture the data the first time, and they call back for some follow-up questions).

Now, to extrapolate services (how many times did X happen on a case we consulted on) -- how can I pull that nuanced data out? I guess I can manually look through the data, which is how we do indeed do this to report quarterly on how many cases we served..... There must be a better way to look across the life of our program and pull the data.

• Thanks Mike - I have tons and tons of charts - haven't yet explored the new dashboards.

So this specific use example - we have "Call Records" with a field, "Type of Call". Every call = 1. New Consult, 2. Continued Consult, or 3. Not a Consult

As mentioned above, with options 1 and 2 - it's not predictable to know which of those call types we'll receive basic patient demographics. We might receive it on the first call, or that one might be very brief and we capture it on the second "Continuation". Sometimes we capture it on both. Basically a nurse enters it if she knows it.

My goal is to make sure that for every 1 case we served (New plus all its subsequent consults), we're counting it only once. My suspicion is that this is maybe a hair too complex to really do here..... Like I'd need maybe a way to tie the records from the same table together in order to filter.

With that expanded info, any other ideas?

Thank you!

5 Replies

MikeTamoush
      Qrew Commander

There are a number of ways to manipulate and look at data. If you have a specific use case, you can post it and we might be able to help more.

However, in general to look at numbers you will want to create Reports. Can use table reports or charts, depending on the use case. To get specific totals, you can use the filters. In some cases, you will simply filter the report itself (in the report customization options), in other cases you may just want to use a dynamic filter on the report. Bar graphs can sometimes be quite useful to look at something over time (x axis can be a date access, orgnized by day,week,month or year).

You can also utilize the new Dashboards, and then utilize the global filters on those new dashboards. ie: Put a pie chart or bar graph on the dashboard, and tie a filter to it (date filter for example). When you filter by date periods, the charts will update their numbers.

ChristineKirk
        Qrew Cadet

Thanks Mike - I have tons and tons of charts - haven't yet explored the new dashboards.

So this specific use example - we have "Call Records" with a field, "Type of Call". Every call = 1. New Consult, 2. Continued Consult, or 3. Not a Consult

As mentioned above, with options 1 and 2 - it's not predictable to know which of those call types we'll receive basic patient demographics. We might receive it on the first call, or that one might be very brief and we capture it on the second "Continuation". Sometimes we capture it on both. Basically a nurse enters it if she knows it.

My goal is to make sure that for every 1 case we served (New plus all its subsequent consults), we're counting it only once. My suspicion is that this is maybe a hair too complex to really do here..... Like I'd need maybe a way to tie the records from the same table together in order to filter.

With that expanded info, any other ideas?

Thank you!