Forum Discussion

JimHarrison
Qrew Champion
4 years ago

First Stab at Pipelines: Observations

I tried the turn Automation into Pipeline thing today.
When I did the convert function some things worked others didn't. That is expected.
Looked at the converted to pipeline processes that worked and all were done by Pipeline Automation convert service account. Ok, where did that come from?
Noticed there is a Query parameter named "Is Set" and "Is not Set" not sure what that means. Searched the Internet and didn't see any reference to this terminoligy so I sent a support ticket to QB asking what it means.
The convert thing took my "when a field changes update another field" process and turned it into a bulk record upsert with steps. ummm that's weird. After a while I started thinking that it takes less effort to learn how to write a functional Webhook.

I added one Pipeline that appears to make sense and turned it on and then thought, ok how to I test it is working? So I need to figure that out before I come in to find the entire table is update.

They seem like they are working. I feel like I am going to need to set up some tables with data and smash around with things for a while.

When the drop down lists show up, make certain the DDL is in the middle of the page because there is no way to scroll down and the ddl just goes off the bottom of the page, so lots of positioning prep required.

I think the query thing would be more useful if you could click a little preview pop-up that does a top 10 results. So I can see what the query is returning.
The whole, make your results as minimal as possible so it doesn't cost you a lot of money is nerve wracking and distracting seeing as how I'm not really certain if there's a charge being applied. Also ours says the steps reset date is November 18th, wondering where that date came from???

I can't see anyone else's pipelines on my team. I can see all the Webhooks everyone created on a table ever in one view.

I'll keep playing with it when I have time but I'm not ready to adopt this as a working solution.

That's all I got.

------------------------------
Jim Harrison
transparency = knowledge + understanding : The Scrum Dudes

6 Replies

• Here are some answers.

Set /  not set means has a value or does  not have a value.

All Quickbase steps are at no charge.  By definition, Automations were internal to Quickbase, so there will not be any chargeable steps for a converted Automation.

External Automaton steps are renewed annually.  I guess your anniversary date is Nov 18th.

Not being able to see other's Pipelines is a known issue they are working on.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      MichaelTamoush
      Qrew Captain
      Ahh, I was wondering about set/not set as well. So does that essentially mean we can replace using something like, if [Field A] = ""?  To test if something is blank or not blank we can now use set/not set?

Mike Tamoush
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        That is my understanding so far.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Your Quick Base Coach
        mark.shnier@gmail.com
    AustinK
    Qrew Commander
    I can't see anyone else's pipelines on my team. I can see all the Webhooks everyone created on a table ever in one view.

If you are a realm admin you are able to see everyones Pipelines currently with the "Switch To User" function which is similar to testing as a user in the app. I hope that eventually they bring this functionality into a better space than realm admin because it is sorely needed and it is already available.
      MarkShnier__You
      Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
      It's definitely on their roadmap.  I believe I heard on a webinar that its depending on some UI improvements being done first but they are working on it.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
      Your Quick Base Coach
      mark.shnier@gmail.com