Forum Discussion

HannahWright2
Qrew Trainee
4 years ago

Formula URL - View Record Without Record ID#

We have recently discovered that creating a report link to view a record on another app will create a relationship between those two apps. We have a complex system so we would like to avoid app to app relationships. It is for this reason we are moving toward iframes for this type of functionality.

With this in mind, is there any way to create a  link to view a specific record (not a report) without having that records Record ID#? In other words, can you use a field other than the Record ID# in the url to view a record?

I appreciate any feedback!

------------------------------
Hannah Wright

3 Replies

• Right, so yes a Report Link field, unfortunately does cause the two apps to be "Dependant" and behave like one large app, which will negatively affect performance.

You can make a link to display a record if you know either the Record ID# or the Key field.  But other than that, no you can only display a report. 

URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_TABLE_DBID]& "?a=dr&key=" & URLEncode([My key field field value])

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      HannahWright2
      Qrew Trainee
      Hi Mark,

I had no idea you could use the key field value in the URL. This completely resolves the issue we were trying to resolve. Thank you so much!

Hannah Wright
    AustinK
    Qrew Commander
    How comfortable are you with using the API? I was thinking you may be able to use a DoQuery call and pull the record id you need and then use that for the URL. This would probably need JavaScript but may not. There are potentially many ways to accomplish this.

Are you wanting this to just be a button on the record in one app that takes you to a related record in another app? You had mentioned iframes, are you wanting this to just automatically display on the record somewhere?