Forum Discussion

PaulPeterson1
Qrew Assistant Captain
4 years ago

Get Table Structure Data

Is there a quick way to get the field names and types for a table?  I have two large tables and need to compare the fields in both to see which ones need to be updated.

------------------------------
Paul Peterson

7 Replies

• Not tested but did you try copy paste into excel off the field list screen?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      PaulPeterson1
      Qrew Assistant Captain

I was hoping for a nice way to get the names and field types.  I have been doing something similar, created a report in both tables with all fields, selected 1 record so I could export the data, copied the header and used paste transpose to put each in their own column and wrote a formula to compare 1 column to the other.  Not pretty, but it will give me a good idea of what updates need to be made.

This entire exercise would be a moot point if quickbase would use some from of version control.

Paul Peterson
  • Check out Ryan Pflederer's app in sample apps named "Virtual Empower: App Library"
    Its a good tool that solves a lot of documentation problems.   I don't understand why quickbase is not promoting it.
    And a big shout out to Ryan for doing this as it is not an 'official' quickbase tool. Though it should be
    @Evan Martinez

Richard Chagnon
    Chicago IL
      PaulPeterson1
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      Thank you!  I will review the app this evening.   Looks very promising

Paul Peterson
        EvanMartinez
        Qrew Elite
        Hi Paul,

Richard's recommendation to look at Ryan's app is spot on, it makes use of the RESTful API capabilities of Quick Base and Codepages to allow the app to pull in data from your existing library. The great thing to is if you have your own specific needs and are willing to dive into the API you can customize what it returns even further for your purposes. Ryan also has a discussion thread where he talks about the app if you have any questions you can find right here. As Austin points out there can be some limitations depending on your app and realm set up but it is a great starting point for pulling out those juicy details you need.

Evan Martinez
        Community Marketing Manager
        Quick Base
      AustinK
      Qrew Commander
      They probably do not promote it because it does have its issues but it is overall a wonderful tool. One of the biggest issues with it if you have a large app ecosystem is apps must have the sandboxes disabled in them for the App Library to be able to pull new data and update itself. We often leave our apps sandboxed because of another Quickbase issue(where you cannot bring records over unless the app is < 1 GB in size) so when we create the sandbox we need to populate it with our own data each time we create it.