Forum Discussion

GhowsiyaPeernai
Qrew Member
4 years ago

hide a drop down option based on the user /Role

Quick help required .

I want to show only test1,test 2 in my dropdown when is login as user remaining i should hide based on role.
Need a help for setting up on IOL as well

------------------------------
Ghowsiya Peernaik

8 Replies

• Hi Ghowsiya,

What you are looking for can be messy and complicated when you are trying to do it with multiple fields and formulas, especially for reporting in the future. The way I usually tackle this is I make a table of all my options and then relate it to the table where the decision is made. The advantage here is since the options are coming from another table you can go into the options on the other table and set up permissions for each role so that the dropdown will dynamically show or hide options based on role permissions.

For example if I had a Discount table cause I wanted discount options including 10%, 20%, 30%, 40%, and 50% I could have a record for each and then have 3 checkbox fields for my 3 roles. Sales Rep, Team Leader, and Manager and then I just check those checkboxes for each role that can use that discount. That way I could set up permissions so that everyone can use the 10 or 20, only team leaders and managers get the checkbox checked for 30 and 40 and finally only managers get access to 50% all using typical table permissions. Then I just set up permissions on that table for each role that they can only see records where their permission checkbox is checked. Then it is all one field you can report against and the discount table can be hidden so all your end users don't even see or worry about it. 

The checkbox method is one suggestion but you can also get far more specific with your permissions if you have more rules and more situations. It is also helpful cause then when you need to expand the options or remove an option in the future you just add a record or remove those checkboxes to hide an option going forward. I hope this suggestion is helpful.

Evan Martinez
    Community Marketing Manager
    Quick Base
      PennyWhoolery
      Qrew Member

Evan -

Your suggestion just saved me a lot of headaches. Just thought you should know you made a girl's day.

Thank you.

Penny Whoolery
        EvanMartinez
        Qrew Elite
        Hi Penny,

I'm really glad to hear that advice helped you and saved you a headache. Hope you have a great day!

Evan Martinez
        Community Marketing Manager
        Quickbase
    PaulPeterson1
    Qrew Assistant Captain
    Go to the field properties and click the checkbox under the Advanced section for "Restrict access by role"

Paul Peterson
      MarkShnier__You
      Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
      I think that Ghowsiya is saying that he has a drop down field with say 10 choices, but based on role he only wants to show 2 choices available top be selected. 

That is in fact difficult to do.  We probably need more information about the use case to suggest options.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
      Quick Base Solution Provider
      Your Quick Base Coach
      http://QuickBaseCoach.com
      mark.shnier@gmail.com
  • Perhaps, as long as there are not a whole lot of roles, you could make a dropdown field per role - so say, there is 4 different roles, then you would make 4 different dropdowns each with different options. Then, you could show a particular dropdown when user is in whatever role that matches the dropdown and have it hide the others.

Jordan McAlister
      MarkShnier__You
      Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
      But then of course you will need a formula to resolve what the final selection was among all four drop downs and also resolve if they are in conflict. It is messy.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
      Quick Base Solution Provider
      Your Quick Base Coach
      http://QuickBaseCoach.com
      mark.shnier@gmail.com
        JordanMcAliste1
        Qrew Member
        yea, i agree - we'll need more information to make any sort of recommended step forward

Jordan McAlister