Forum Discussion

6 Replies

• First of all, be sure that you really do want to have a  separate table. Keep in mind that you will never be able to do reporting which combined results of both tables.    Maybe it is better just to use different reports and different filters and use the same table.

But if you really do want to reuse the same table, the technique is first to make a copy of your application. This will be a disposable copy. Then go back to your main application and in the application settings there will be a link to absorb a table from another application. Navigate to your "Copy of" app ......
  • why copy an app just to get a copy of a table?  isn't there a way to just copy a table (and not the app first)?
  • No, there is not. But I have to ask why you want two very similar tables in the same app. Usually it's a much better design to have Judy 1tabke for similar data and have a field in the Tabke to differentiate the records.

Would you like to describe your use case?
      RichardWhiting
      Qrew Member
      You seriously cannot think of a justification for needing two tables that have similar field structures and many many fields? What a paucity of imagination. This is an obvious  and nontrivial weakness of QuickBase. I am having to recreate tables with hundreds of fields instead of merely copying a previous table and deleting/adding a few fields.
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      rpw49.  
      I assume that you understand that you can copy a table from one app to another using the process I described above.  Your post implies otherwise.
  • I can tell you a use case where I want to copy a table. We currently have a tickets table that has gotten quite bloated with the different types of tickets and specialized fields for each type of. We want to split it into two tables - tickets and requests. We would keep some fields in tickets and some fields in request. The Requests table will also have a slightly different workflow. It would be much easier to copy the tickets table and delete what we don't need than the other way around. That said, I'll use the copy app method.

Thanks!