Forum Discussion

BretBernhoft
Qrew Member
3 years ago

How do I specify which record(s) in a table I'm interested in updating with the RESTful JSON API?

We are building an external application that pulls and pushes data to our QuickBase tables. We've been able to pull data from QuickBase without a problem, but are having trouble with pushing/posting data to specific records.

When using the RESTful JSON API, how can we specify which records we'd like to update with each given API call?

Is there a documentation page that I can refer to that would tell me this answer? I've already looked at this page - Quickbase API Portal - but am having trouble seeing how this is accomplished.

We're using JavaScript for these pulls and posts, and will be able to figure out our own custom code. What we need help with is knowing how to identify which records are of interest for each call. Any help you can provide is appreciated. Thank you.

------------------------------
Bret Bernhoft

4 Replies

• Hi Bret, 

Were you able to figure out how to update specific records using the REST JSON API?   I am trying to use it to update records in QB (destination)  from an SQL Server(source). 

I am able to add records using an upsert, but when I want it to only update  changed records it adds all the records again.

Would appreciate anything you may have learned regarding this topic.  

Thank You,
    Barb A.

Barbara Alvarez
      BretBernhoft
      Qrew Member
      Barb,

Thank you for your comment/response. I did figure out how to update individual records within QB via the RESTful JSON API, by using the associated "record key". I believe the default record key is Record ID #3 for most tables.

I am happy to answer any questions you might have about how I accomplished this.

Best regards,

Bret Bernhoft

Bret Bernhoft
        BarbaraAlvarez1
        Qrew Member
        Hello! 

I don't know what records (record key) I will be updating.  I may have records on my SQL table that have been updated, or none may have been updated.   My expectation was that all records would be send to QB and it would only update those that had changed fields.   If I have to supply a record key and this is eventually going to be an automated process, this may not work for me.  

Your thoughts?

Barbara Alvarez