Forum Discussion

SFSF
Qrew Trainee
7 years ago

How to update a field with the information from a field in another table?

Hi, I'm new to Quick Base and am trying to keep track of some inventory. I have an "Inventory" table which shows the location of the items (as a text field) and a separate "Checked Out" table to show who checked out which items. I would like the location in the Inventory table to be updated to "checked out" when an item is added to the Checked Out table. 

This seems simple but I have been unsuccessful thus far. I found the Quick Base actions and can get it to add a record to the Inventory table when something is added to the Checked Out table, but I can't get it to update an existing record on the Inventory table. Is there something I'm missing?

4 Replies

• No problem,

My Suggestion is to have a relationship where One Inventory has Many Check In / Checkouts.

The Check In Check our record will have a status as to if its is checked In or  and obviously who has the inventory item now if it's checked out.

So the trick is how you get that information of the most recent Check In Check Out record floated up to the Parent.

Go to the Relationship and make a Summary field of the Maximum Record ID, and call it [Record ID# of the Most Recent Check In / out] 

Then make a new "reverse relationship" where  One Check In has Many Inventory items.  Yes, that does sound backwards and that is why it is called a Reverse Relationship.

On the right side of the relationship, do not let Quick Base create a new field, instead use the field you just created [Record ID# of the Most Recent Check In / out]  and do not select an lookups until you save the relationship.

Then edit the relationship and lookup the status (check in or checked out) and who has the Inventory item.

Now those fields are on your parent Inventory Item Y're done!

If you still have that ACTION, get rid of it as this method does not need an ACTION and is more transparent to users.

SFSF
      Qrew Trainee
      You're awesome, thanks so much for your quick response!

Is there a way to display the name of the person who checked the item out instead of the Record ID#?
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      :)
      Any field(s) from the check in record can be looked up to the inventory item Record. Try it. You�ll see.
      SFSF
      Qrew Trainee
      This is AMAZING!! You're the best!
      Thanks!!