Forum Discussion

EvanFujikawa
Qrew Cadet
7 years ago

Hyperlink summary field into a button?

Please help!! What's the easiest way to change a hyperlink summary field into a button? is this even possible?

Thank you!

10 Replies

MCFNeil
    Qrew Captain
    I don't think you can change that field to be a button, because it is a reference field, and the 'link' functionality is just built into QB.

You will want to make a formula-url button that has the same atributes as the link.
    i.e. ?a=dr&rid="&URLEncode([Related Root Cause])
  • I tried creating a formula url button to link to the child record, but it's not referencing the correct record.

"Root Cause" is the child table that has the record I want access to and "Root Cause Related Damage Parts Incidents2" is the summarized field. Is this formula set up incorrectly?

URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_ROOT_CAUSE] & "?a=dr&dfid=XX&rid=" & [Root Cause Related Damage Parts Incidents2]

Thanks!
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      Evan,
      Sorry but I have been unable to log onto the Forum all day today and most of my devices. Based on what I know about your app from your other questions, it does not look to me like you are referencing the correct record ID.

That formula will display a record. It seems unlikely to me that the record I do that you want to display on the root cause record is that the formula is using. Is that really your Summary field with a name like that???
    MCFNeil
    Qrew Captain
    It looks correct.  Does it work for you?

The record id value just needs to be the record ID of the parent.  So if in your case the parent record ID# is [Root Cause Related Damage Parts Incidents2] then you should be good.

(looks like your app has had a far amount of tinkering going on)
  • I need the button to pull the Record ID of the child record since the button is located in the parent form. I'm not very familiar with quickbase and it seems like what I need should be fairly simple, but it's starting to sound quite complex.

I have a table (Damage Parts) that houses the button that links to it's child form (Root Cause). This is embedded in the parent form (Damage) which is the only table the user will have access to. So essentially I need the button to allow the user to create a record as well as edit only accessing the from through the button. Is this even possible?
  • I understand exactly what you are trying to do. But I'm saying that if you have a Summary field which a Summary of the minimum record ID# of the child Record, it is highly unlikely it has that field name you are using in your formula.

What is the field name on that Damage Parts record that has the summary of the Minimum Record iD# of the Root Cause Record.

If you are really stuck, contact me via the information on my website and I will have a quick look.
    QuickBaseCoach.com
  • The hyperlink that shows in my "Edit Root Cause" field does exactly what I need the button to do. I just need that hyperlink in the form of a button. In my edit button I am referencing the same field as my summary but it will only link to the Parent Table (Damage Parts) and not the child table (Root Cause)

• I adjusted the table and field to pull the correct record and it's finally functioning like it should!! Is there something I can add to the formula that will open the record in edit mode?

URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_ROOT_CAUSE] & "?a=dr&dfid=XX&rid=" & [Root Cause Record ID#]

Thank you!!
      MCFNeil
      Qrew Captain
      Change the "a=dr&" to be "a=er&"

display record vs edit record.

Glad you could get it sorted out.  Usually its just some setting or tinkering to get what you need.  Now you are an expert and can help others. :)
  • Perfect!! Thanks Matt, but I'm far from an expert. To take this formula a step further, how would I tell it to return to the Parent Table and Record after it's saved?