Forum Discussion

JeffRogerson
Qrew Cadet
11 years ago

I Want To Designate A Reference Proxy Field But Can Figure It Out

I have read the help notes, but can't make heads or tails of how to redesignate what is currently a text lookup field in a relationship to a reference proxy field, but can't make heads or tail.

How do I change one of the current text look ups to a proxy field? Arrrghhhh.....

Jeff

5 Replies

• You go to the reference field which is in the top right of the box when you first open the relationship.

Click on the reference field then about half way down is properties will be a drop down box to choose the proxy
  • Thank you.... I was wondering if I can ask one more question?  I am working on a hockey tournament and I have set up three tables.  (One is the master for the divisions, the second is the Teams Lists/Standings and the third is the Schedule).  I have built a relationship between the Divisions and Team Lists and further built a text function field that shows the teams division - name in a single field.  I have been trying to set up another relationship between the Schedule and the team Lists/Standings with the proxy field being the text function field of Divison-Team Name.  But when I open the drop down to select, instead of showing me the named division, it gives me the reference field for the division (numerical) followed by the team name.?  If the Div-Name field shows up correctly in a report, why won't it show up correctly as a proxy field in a relationship?
  • I think you need to make sure the Div-Name is included as a Look Up field in the relationship for it to be a Proxy.
  • So, 5 months later I write to say thanks.  I had shelved the project I was originally working on, but this was helpful on a resurrected project.  And can I ask an additional question about record picking?  The database that I am working on has "everyone on the web" access.  Is there any way I can limit the amount of records or can I build a filter that will work as a record picker.  For your reference, I am a golf course, building a tee sheet, I want the public to be able to book tee times and the tee sheet has a relationship with a customer file so people only have to add their information once, I am thinking I could use their phone number as a unique filtering field, ie, but as it currently stands, when I use phone number, the record picker displays all the phone numbers on file (currently about 900) and the user has to scroll through the list to find theirs.  If I build a report with a _ask1_ filter, the record picker doesn't recognize the filter and no records are returned or available to search?