Forum Discussion

JoshJosh2
Qrew Member
10 years ago

Is there a way to send a DAILY SUBSCRIPTION notification containing a Report to non-users?

Hi -- I know that an open notification can be sent, but I want to send a daily subscription with a report embedded in it.

Is this possible? How would you do it if you had to?

4 Replies

• Hi Josh,

Sending report subscriptions by email is limited to QuickBase users, so you would need to invite each recipient as a registered user in the app. I'm sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks,

Brian
  • An option is to have a report of Notifications to be sent daily, and have a user receive this internal report daily. Then make a URL formula button to "toggle" a checkbox field, triggering a Notification, and also record the date the checkbox was toggled so as to be able to refresh the screen with one less record. Then the user clicks the next record on the report. It also possible to have a little pop up as feedback to the user that their click "took" and then they can just click click lock down the report to fire off the emails to the outside users.

The form which goes out could have an embedded "report" on it - for example, each record might be a (non-User) client having an embedded report of their open orders.

Once that was working, then it would be possible to write a script to walk down that report to trigger the Open email Notifications.
  • Intuit clearly chose the greedy approach of "pay me if you want it", which is very limiting and dissapointing. The approach we are using works, and it is automated, but requires some extra setup:

We have the report sent from QB automatically to a registered user. The Subject line of the subscription e-mail includes a keyword (you can define whatever you want; the only important thing is that it is very unique and it is unlikely you will come across the keyword in your day-to-day e-mails), and a rule in Outlook parses the keyword and resends the subscription e-mail to whomever you want.

Example:

1. Automated e-mail subject in QB: this_is_my_keyword
    2. This is located under Settings -->Emails-->(your_subscription_name)-->Mail Options-->Subject
    3. (Optional) If you want to setup further rules, you can also add some keywords, or "fields" on the "custom message" to be sent
    4. This is located under Settings -->Emails-->(your_subscription_name)-->Mail Options-->Custom Message
    5. On your e-mail client (e.g. Outlook 2010), go to "Rules --> Create Rule" --> Advanced Options. This will open the wizard.
    6. Add the condition "Apply this rule after the message arrives with this_is_my_keyword in the subject". Add any extra conditions you might want to use. Click next.
    7. Add the action "Forward it to (list of people or group)". This is where you can customize who to send it to. Click next twice.
    8. Make sure the check box "Turn-on this rule" is selected, and click on finish.
    That's all. The instructions for other versions of Outlook, or any other e-mail client should be very similar. If desired, you can take these steps further and write a script for your e-mail client to customize it even more.

Hope this helps!
    Rick
  • The fact that QB does not allow email subscriptions to be sent to non-app users is irritating.  But it is probably an effort to prevent some from setting up subscriptions that regularly spams 1,000 of people.

Would be good for QB to develop a Non-app verification feature that allows app managers to get "subscription receipt approval" from owners of external email addresses.  Once an external address owner approves subscription receipt, these addresses could be added to an "Approved Non-app Email List" that could be added to subscriptions.  The email subscription can also have a link that allows external address owner to stop the subscription any time, which removes them automatically from the "Approved Non-app Email List".  Adding this extra step is cumbersome...but should overcome the spamming concern. 

I mean for crying out loud, why does the subscription feature even allow adding external addresses to subscriptions in the first place.