Forum Discussion

MattGill
Qrew Trainee
5 years ago

Issues with Multi-Select Lookup Field

I am creating automated Tasks from certain Projects. (One Project has many Tasks). In Projects is a Multi-Select Field [Selected Coverage Types] and it has a lot of Dynamic Form Rules based on what's "included" in the field. However, in Tasks you cannot create rules that "include" whatever is in the field. I've tried a few work arounds and I can't seem to get it to work. I need a field that will take the information in the [Selected Coverage Type] in Projects and have it be usable in the Task and allow me to be make rules based off of what's "include". 

The image below is an image of what I use in Projects, and I'm trying to recreate something similar in Tasks.

------------------------------
Matt Gill

4 Replies

• To clarify, on the [Project - Selected Coverage Types] lookup field in the Task Table, the field will not allow me to "includes, the value" and allows me to type in what I need. It only lets me selects "the value in the field..."

Matt Gill
      Jan-WillemSpeck
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      Is the field type n both of the tables the same?
      Did you change the type after the rules where build?

Jan-Willem S
      MarkShnier__You
      Qrew Champion
      I was able to duplicate your problem.  It seems to be a limitation of how the form rules treat those multi select lookup field types.

But when Quick Base closes a door, sometimes we just need to get in though a window.

I had a field on the parent record with a multi select list of fruits.  
      I looked that up to the child record.

I then created a Multi select formula field called [Apples] with a formula of

"Apples"

The formula box editor was not happy (yellow), but the formula saved OK without error.

I then put in a form rule on the child were the [Multi select fruit lookup field] "includes" the value in the field .... and lo and behold, it offered my up that [Apples field] as a choice.

So just create any choices you want as single value multi select formula fields and then use them in the form rules on the child.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
      Quick Base Solution Provider
      Your Quick Base Coach
      http://QuickBaseCoach.com
      mark.shnier@gmail.com
        MattGill
        Qrew Trainee
        So I feel like an idiot. I had forgotten that I already had the answer, but I got busy with other projects and other work related issues and I ended up forgetting about it and for some reason thought it didn't work when I never got to try it out, and I ended creating other fields and messed it up worse.

So what I originally did was create a Multi-Select field in the Tasks table [EGCI Selected Coverage] and it has the same list of items in it as the one in the Projects Table. And with the automation I am using to help create the task, I have the Tasks Multi-Select field  the Projects information copied into it. And it works. The information I need is transferred and I can still use the Rules in the form to do what I need. 

But if I wasn't using an automation that would be the great way to go. Thank you Mark! Thank you Jan!

Matt Gill