Forum Discussion

juliemcclenic
Qrew Trainee
4 months ago

Mass download of file attachment fields

Good morning. Does anyone know of a way to mass download file attachment records from a table? I have lots of pictures I want to download and delete from my app and can't find a solution that works well. Thanks for your help!

------------------------------
julie mcclenic

11 Replies

• Are you able to move them outside of Quickbase versus downloading? For example can you move them to Box, Google Drive or Sharepoint? Mass downloading would require a code page but you're likely to hit browser issues and more annoyance than it's worth. Your best bet is to make a pipeline that moves the files you don't want to a true file storage service, even just temporarily and then download them from there. 

Chayce Duncan
      MarkShnier__You
      Qrew Champion

There is a browser extension called download them all which has kind of a confusing, user interface, but does run like a bat out of hell. Basically you run some kind of list all report that has all your file attachments and start this extension and it just fires them all into a folder on your computer.  

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
      mark.shnier@gmail.com
        juliemcclenic
        Qrew Trainee

Thank you Mark. I did try that yesterday but it did not find all the attachments. Only a handful. Weird interface for sure too :)

julie mcclenic
      juliemcclenic
      Qrew Trainee

We tried this with Sharepoint and since it gets picky with certain characters and formats like HEIC pictures, the pipelines failed a lot. Thank you though, I really appreciate your help!

julie mcclenic
  • The Pipeline idea is probably best, but another workaround is the browser add-on: Download them all. Just google that and you will find it. It's an addon that downloads anything on a web page, but literally on the page (what is in view). So if its a long list I usually have to make the page smaller so more of my files fit in view, then download, scroll down, download etc. It's not perfect but it's do-able.

Mike Tamoush
  • Another option depending on how many images:

1. Quickbase Exchange - install the Image Preview field
    2. Create a report with only the Image Preview field
    3. Switch report style to Old style
    4. Scroll to the bottom of the 500-1k images/records
    5. Ctrl + S to save the html page. 
    6. In your download folders, you'll have one .html file and one folder with all images + some extras
  • Hi Julie,

If you're looking for options, QuNect Backup is another option. This is an executable that runs on your local machine and downloads to a local file system, like your c:\ drive. From there you can move the files to a file share on you local domain or cloud service.

The tool is an ODBC driver setup. We use a service account with Administrator permissions on every App with attachments. Pick an App and then pick which folders to download and define a local path for the files. Then start it an go do something else because it can take a while and will consume bandwidth depending on the cumulative size of all those files. Also make certain the local file store has more room than the total size of the attachments or bad things can happen. 

I'll give a shout out to Claude Von Roesgen who is a really nice guy. There are videos on the Qunect Website so you'll want paper and pencil to take notes.

Good luck

Jim Harrison
    transparency = knowledge + understanding : The Scrum Dudes
      juliemcclenic
      Qrew Trainee

I will look into these options. Thank you very much for your help, guys!

julie mcclenic