Forum Discussion

JamieOwens_Knig
Qrew Trainee
4 years ago

Monthly Sample Sizes

I have an app for tracking audits on classes and this year, they want to add a sample size for each class for each month. Sample sizes range from 5 to 20. Currently, I have a Class Catalog table in the app with the following fields: 

• Quarterly sample size field that is a numeric, user-entered field.
  • # of completed audits that is a look up summary field from the audits table based on the class has many audits relationship. Also, a # of audits completed this quarter field, with the filter of the date of the audit being in the current quarter.
  • Percent complete fields that are formula fields based on the sample fields and the # of completed audit fields. 

They want to change these quarterly samples to monthly sample sizes. I can change the # of completed audits this quarter to this month by changing the filter, but I'm trying to think of a way to update the monthly sample size dynamically. We've been manually updating the quarterly sample size since it was only four times a year, but going in every month on the first seems excessive and unrealistic in the long term. I'd like to set this up more dynamically, but I'm not sure how. No one goes in and edits these class records, or at least, no one does on a regular basis, so I can't use a "when data changes" automation or form rule.

I thought about having 12 fields; one for each month, but it would be nice if only the current month's sample size showed up on the form. But I'd still have to update the formula field to divide by the new month's sample size. 

I also thought about doing an automation on a schedule but can't figure out how to modify the fields I need. Lastly, I thought about creating a sample size table and creating the automation from there, but can't get my head wrapped around how to do that either.

Do you all have any ideas on how to make this work without having to manually update the app every month?

------------------------------
Jamie Owens-Knight

4 Replies

• Having the 12 fields may be easiest - if you don't need to keep those entered values long-term. If that's the case, then do the 12 fields and then build a formula that show's "Current Month's Required Sample Size" and have it display the value of one of the 12 fields, based on the current Month.

Case(Month(Today()),
                1,[January],
                2,[February],etc...)

You can then use this Formula in the View mode and the other fields in Edit/Add
    Blake Harrison
    bharrison@datablender.io
    DataBlender - Quickbase Solution Provider
    Atlanta GA
    404.800.1702 / http://datablender.io/
      JamieOwens_Knig
      Qrew Trainee
      This worked great - thank you!

Jamie Owens-Knight
    DonLarson
    Qrew Commander
    Jamie,

Is the sample size the same for all classes in a given month?

Don Larson
    Paasporter
    Westlake OH
      JamieOwens_Knig
      Qrew Trainee
      No, the sample size varies by month.

Jamie Owens-Knight