Forum Discussion

MyoshiaBoykin-A
Qrew Trainee
3 years ago

Multi-select categories

I am creating a database of podcast shows.  I have a Shows table with all the attributes of each show.  One of the attributes is category, and each show can fall under one or many categories.  I have a list of 150 categories.  What is the best way for me to achieve this functionality (from a table perspective and from a data entry form perspective?)

------------------------------
Myoshia Boykin-Anderson

2 Replies

• I suggest a table of the 150 Categories and then a middle join table called Podcast Categories with a Relationships for 1 Podcast has many Podcast Categories and another relationship where 1 Categories has many Podcast Categories.

That will give you the flexibility you need for reporting.

If the data entry is too slow for you that way I can can set up a faster way for you to do the data entry, but that would take a one on one session for about an hour. (Contact me me by email to discuss). 

You can then roll up the combined text summary of the podcast categories up to the Podcast and then there are ways to present that field in a more attractive format and also use it as a Dynamic filter.   Feel free to post back with questions here about that or contract me for some quick on on one assistance.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      MyoshiaBoykin-A
      Qrew Trainee
      Thanks so much Mark.  I have the team trying this now.  If we can't figure it out, I will definitely ping you for a one-on-one session.  I don't want them spinning their wheels on this too much.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Myoshia Boykin-Anderson