Forum Discussion

DavidBrowne
Qrew Trainee
5 years ago

Multi-user Task Manager Summary Report by User

I have a task manager in which I can assign multiple user to a single task via the [Assigned To] List-user field.  So far I have not been able to make a summary report which breaks down the task assignment by individual users.

For example,  Bob, Mike and Jan can be assigned tasks.  Bob and Mike are both assigned individual tasks, but Mike and Jan are both assigned to work another task together.

Currently the summary looks like this:

Assigned To      # of Tasks
Bob                       1
Mike                      1
Jan, Mike             1

I want it to look like this:

Assigned To      # of Tasks
Bob                       1
Mike                      2
Jan                        1

The problem I keep running into is not being able to summarize records that contain multiple values in a single field.  Anyone have any creative solutions?  My Project Manager sure would like to see the total amount of tasking assigned to each user at a glance.

------------------------------
David Browne

3 Replies

• The only way i can think to do this would be to use an Automation to maintain a child table of the individual Assignees.  The Assignment record would need to have formula fields to parse out say the first 10 assignees fomr the LIst User field and then the Automation would fire when the Assignment record was added or edited.  The Automation would delete all the children, then create the 10 Child records and then delete any blank ones with no Assignee.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    markshnier2@gmail.com
      DavidBrowne
      Qrew Trainee
      I was thinking along those lines as well.  I just don't know how to parse the names I get from UserlistToNames([Assigned To]) into separate fields.

I didn't quit follow the bit about the automation deleting the children.  What are the children in this case?

Thanks for you help!

David Browne
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        The formula to parse out the first user form a List User field would be

ToUser(Part(ToText(UserListToEmails([Assignees])),1,";"))

The 2nd user would be

ToUser(Part(ToText(UserListToEmails([Assignees])),2,";"))

In my suggested setup the Assignment record would have a child table so that if the ListUser Assignees were Curly, Larry and Moe, then there would be three children records, one for each.  You would lookup ant info you needed from the Assignment record and then make your report off the child table of the individual assignees.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        markshnier2@gmail.com