Forum Discussion

SarahBurres
Qrew Trainee
5 years ago

Multiple Checklists

I am creating an audit application.  There are 5 checklist dependent on what you are auditing to (welding, safety, coating, etc.).   Also, there are categories for checklist.  For example welding there is application, documentation, training categories.  I have created a checklist template which list all of the questions and the correlating checklist (type field).  Then I made a checklist table.  I want the user to select which checklist they will be using and then to be able to fill it out with the categories.  
I'm not sure how complicated this will get and wondering if it would be better to just have five separate tables for each checklist.  

Another side note.  If any of the questions are answered as "Low", "Medium", or "High", it will need to trigger a corrective action to be completed.  This piece has already been completed but it will need to trigger Table CAR Manager.

------------------------------
Sarah Burres

2 Replies

• The Low tech solution here is to make 5 Template Audit records. each would have their correct child checklists.
    Then use the built in wizard on the Settings for the app, then App management page  and locate 

Copy master & detail records.

That will allow you to create button buttons which will import respectively the 5 children records from those 5 templates onto your new audit record.

So one approach is to offer the user those 5 buttons to choose from and then once the click to add the children, then have a form rule hide the buttons.  You could also have the user select from a drop down of the Audit type and then have form rules to show the correct button.

You will need to set Permissions so that the regular users can't mess with your template Audit records or their children checklists.

There are also fancier solutions probably beyond the scope of what I can guide you though on this forum to have the Audit records created with children based on their type, but my suggest here could be quite good enough for your needs. Post back if you get stuck or have questions.

https://help.quickbase.com/user-assistance/create_copy_import_button.html

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
    DonLarson
    Qrew Commander
    Sarah,

Here is one potential architecture.

When a Record is Added to the Audit Table you want to create records in the Check List Table and related them to the Master List where

Related Audit Type from the Audit =  Related Audit Type in the Master List   AND
    Related List Status = Active

This way you will get all your questions from the Master List in your Check List for the Audit .   New questions in the Master List or changing the List Status will automatically make the future Check Lists compliant.

Now you just need a tool that will search the Master List for the data you need and write it all.  

I recommend that you look at Triggers from Juiced Technologies

https://www.juicedtech.com/triggers

I have all my clients use them and find it to be indispensable.

Don Larson
    Paasporter
    Westlake OH