Forum Discussion

PaulAgnew
Qrew Trainee
4 years ago

Need Last Primary, Secondary and Tertiary Approver in Parent Table

I need to get the latest (max) approvers from a Status Log child table into the parent JE table to facilitate monthly reporting.  There are 3 approval/approver levels: 1) Primary, 2) Secondary and 3) Tertiary.  Each level contains the name of the person who can approve at that level.  As each approver approves a specific JE record that approval is recorded in the Status Log table.  Since there can be some back-and-forth in the approval process there can be multiple approvals/approvers at each level and different people can approve at same level in subsequent approvals.  I need to get the MAX or Latest approver name for each level ... Primary, Secondary and Tertiary back into the parent JE table to facilitate a report that shows the latest actual approver name for each JE record.

Parent JE (parent table)                         Status Log (child table)
------------------------------------------              ---------------------------------------------
JE record #1​                                             JE submitted by Bob
                                                                    Primary Approval - Paul receives/reviews Bob's JE and approves
                                                                    Secondary Approver - Jane reviews the JE and kicks it back to Bob for more info
                                                                    Submitter - Bob attaches additional info and re-submits
                                                                    Primary Approver - Mary approves (not Paul this time)
                                                                    Secondary Approval - George approves
                                                                    Tertiary Approval - Rosa reviews and kicks the JE back to Bob to collect more info
                                                                    Submitter - Bob attaches additional info and re-submits
                                                                    Primary Approval - Paul
                                                                    Secodary Approval - George
                                                                    Tertiary Approval - Charles

I need to capture the names in red and push them back to the corresponding record in the JE table.

------------------------------
Paul Agnew
IT Manager
Peak Properties
CA

3 Replies

• Any tips and recommendations?

Paul Agnew
    IT Manager
    Peak Properties
    CA
      MarkShnier__You
      Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
      Yes i do.  While this can probably be done, it will require a a log amount of code to parse out the pieces and then do the logic.  It's gunna be ugly.

A far more flexible solution would be to write out child records for the approvals.  Then it will be way easier get at the various approvers.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
      Quick Base Solution Provider
      Your Quick Base Coach
      http://QuickBaseCoach.com
      mark.shnier@gmail.com
        PaulAgnew
        Qrew Trainee
        Thank-you Mark.  The approval child records are stored in the Status Log (child table).  This is more-or-less working now via an automation that calculates the "latest" Primary, Secondary and Tertiary approver.  I'll pose additional questions as I run into any problems.

Again, thanks so much.

Regards,
        Paul

Paul Agnew
        IT Manager
        Peak Properties
        CA