Forum Discussion

MatthewImrie
Qrew Member
4 years ago

Numbering System

Hoping I can get some help.   I'm new to writing formulas so that's not a huge help. 

I'm looking to create a unique number system for each entry.  

For example the first entry would have "IA2020-001" as the tracking number and the next would be "IA2020-002".  I would need the year to roll over as well. 

Any help is greatly appreciated.

------------------------------
Matthew Imrie

4 Replies

• Sequential Custom numbering is actually not easy to do in Quick Base especially for a new user. Nine times out of 10 when a client request this there is no valid reason for having that numbering. It is simply because that is the way they always used to do it.

The record ID in QuickBase is a unique number that will count up from one to infinity. If you don't like your records starting at the number one then I would import 1000 records and then the numbers will start at 1000.

If you'd like you can make an identifier which concatenates the year of the project and the Record ID number and that will be unique. But like I said sequential numbering is really a pain to set up and my first reaction is always to push back really hard as to whether they're really really really is a valid business reason for that. 

If there is a strong business case for wanting to do this then I can point you at some help text but honestly it's just going to scare you if you are a new user.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      MichaelTamoush
      Qrew Captain
      One way I get a unique number is by utilizing the record ID in a formula. So for example, I have a table of Orders and my Unique ID is "O-" & [Record ID#].

So maybe you could have "IA" & [Year] & "-" & [Record ID#]

Year you could replace with a formula to get the current year which I know is simple but I don't know it off the top of my head.

Mike Tamoush
        AlanOrbach
        Qrew Member
        Hello Mark,

Can you please help me, I am trying to do a simple formula by adding # to another # and then dividing it into another (example: Total Complete + Total Exempt / Total Training Assignments) Is there something I am doing wrong in the system because the # comes out very large and it shouldn't?

1303282+67040/1942651=.70% but the system says 130,328,203.5%

Here is how I have it in the system:

Thanks,
        Alan

Alan Orbach