Forum Discussion

MrunaliKadam
Qrew Trainee
2 years ago

Opening attachment into a new tab instead of downloading

Hi Everyone,

I've an attachment field in the report and need to always download attachment to open it. Is there a way, we can open attached file in a new tab instead of downloading the entire file? Many times, need to just see a small things in the attachment and download is not required.

Thanks in advance!

------------------------------
Mrunali Kadam

9 Replies

• I'm not sure about this file attachment field property. Please advise if anyone has any idea. Thank you!

Mrunali Kadam
  • It is a setting on your local computer as to how the browser handles file attachments.  It may take some googling on your part, but for example if you click on a file attachment of type pdf, you may want to have your computer always open it up using Acrobat Reader.  If you click a file of type xlsx, then you may want your computer to always open that with Excel. 

On my Mac running Chrome, when I right click on the downloaded file in the footer area of my Chrome, it gives me a choice as to what to "always"s do with that file type.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      MrunaliKadam
      Qrew Trainee
      Thank you Mark! I'll do research around. On my windows laptop, when I right click on the attachment name and select open link in new tab/window then it still asks to download instead of just opening in new tab.

Mrunali Kadam
        EdwardHefter
        Qrew Cadet
        Due to security settings that QB has, some files can't be viewed directly in the browser and need to be downloaded first (even if they are downloaded and then opened right away in the system viewer) regardless of browser or browser setting.

I went round and round with them a few years ago when they took away the ability to view a PDF in the browser the way that most other websites (anyone with a statement like banks, DocuSign, etc.) will allow. They said there was a security concern in allowing it to open in the browser but didn't explain what the issue was. I'd love for them to change it back, because I hate having a bunch of files on computer I don't need.

Edward Hefter
        www.Sutubra.com
  • We created a formula url button that sits on our reports that uses google doc viewer and it opens in a pop up widnow with the document.  Doesn't work on very document type, but works on most

var text filefid = "attachment field id";
    var text docurl = URLRoot() & "up/" & Dbid () & "/a/r" & [Record ID#] & "/e" & $filefid & "/v0";

"https://docs.google.com/gview?url=" & URLEncode( $docurl )

Sean Boat-Moore
    Manager SMB Development
    Project Management Office and Quality Control
    NCR Corporation
    sean.boat-moore@ncr.com | ncr.com
      MikeTamoush
      Qrew Commander
      The solutions I have seen always involve making the file be un-secure. Browsers have different behavior and I had always used firefox because it would allow you to open the file rather than download. However, a few months ago firefox changed their behavior and it both opens AND downloads the file. Quite annoying, and I am yet to find a fix.

Mike Tamoush