Forum Discussion

CullenCoates
Qrew Trainee
3 years ago

Organized, catalogued central repository for pipelines information

It seems to me that there is an enormous amount of valuable and often critical information about use of pipelines that is being posted in a variety of places, Slack pipelines, Slack General, Community postings, User guide and so forth.  I have been on calls where someone asks about s feature or function and the response is that it will be posted in the blog or forum or slack. It seems to me that it is critical that users will have a single place to go where they can enter keywords and questions and have a robust response repository. The User Guide is one of the finest in the industry but much of the critical information is not making it there.

------------------------------
Cullen Coates
cwcoates@crystalbaysolutions.com

5 Replies

• I agree. 

There have also been many new features introduced in the last six months, which is fantastic, but there is no documentation other than the Release Notes.  For example new syntax for formula rich text field to open as pop-up and a new feature to capture the Record ID number on a new record and be able to use it in a formula.  

I think right now the pace of change is exceeding the capacity of their documentation department. And the documentation department needs to put the brain trust together to figure out where the staff should live.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
  • +1 for what you said Cullen

Scott Burday, Trinity
      MarkShnier__You
      Qrew Champion
      My other concern about pipelines documentation has to do with the fact that there is basically zero zero zero documentation on the channels.

For example if you want to create a QuickBooks invoice there are no examples and and it is far from obvious.   If you want to set up a calendar appointment in Outlook or Google calendar the first part is somewhat obvious about how to create the entry but it is far from obvious how to link that back to the original Quickbase record so that you can subsequently adjust that entry if the entry change in QuickBase. 

Of course there are many channels I have not worked with but I haven't seen documentation on any of them. 

Mark Shnier (YQC)
      Quick Base Solution Provider
      Your Quick Base Coach
      http://QuickBaseCoach.com
      mark.shnier@gmail.com
  • Hi Cullen,

Thank you for the feedback on our help documentation and information on Pipelines, things are spread out right now but centralizing them is something we agree we need to do work on. Right now you can find the most technical and clear cut content on our User Guide/Help, more how to or use case driven examples in our Community/Slack, and then educational focused materials in our University which can be a little daunting when you are trying to find the right flavor of guidance for your needs. We are trying with things like our Automations to Pipelines Hub or our Code Pages Sample App to collect examples from across our various channels into a more central location. Feedback like this on where builders are getting stuck or frustrated finding content is very helpful as we keep trying to consolidate. If there is anything specific you are looking for in the short term don't hesitate to reach out to me as I am happy to help you find content or in the cases of an absence of examples see if we can't create something to help. 

To Marks point on examples for how to create Pop ups and capturing Record ID specifically it is a little counter intuitive but we have some examples of that in the Code Page Sample app for anyone wanting to see some of that code in action. Also I'm definitely passing on the feedback we are getting about specific channel documentation in Pipelines to the team. Please keep the feedback on your experiences coming as it really helps to drive our priorities.

I almost forgot to plug Bree's So You Want to Learn Pipelines! article as well as a place to find example apps, articles, and resources she collected. 

Evan Martinez
    Community Marketing Manager
    Quickbase
      CullenCoates
      Qrew Trainee
      Evan
      Many thanks for the update. As a start - and possible interim measure -  how about having a section in the user guide that provides an indexed link to all the resources that you mention and to others? For example, the links to the three sources you note above. Also, It shouldn't be difficult (easy for me to say) to have some sort of indexed function  within the Pipelines section so that when someone posts a "solution" or example in slack, or wherever, at least the title of the post and a link could be included. The posts could be tagged with keywords related to the index. Every day the volume of new examples and solutions grows and it will soon get to the point that it will be difficult to go back and try to capture it. The valus of this is that when folks go to the User Guide and type in "Pipelines" the first article is "about Pipelines with links to A:: of the other sources and perhaps a master resources index page.

Cullen Coates
      cwcoates@crystalbaysolutions.com