Forum Discussion

GlennPhillips
Qrew Trainee
4 years ago

Overnight Failure of ROUND and FLOOR Function... Anyone Else???

The ROUND and FLOOR functions no longer return valid numeric values.

Last night (6pm Central Time US 2/5/2021) these were fine. This morning, Saturday 2/6/2021 at 8am they return numbers with alpha-characters in the them.

I stripped my formula down to confirm that it is an issue with the QuickBase function and not my code.
When my formula is only the number:
the result is correctly:
25.10000000%

When I change the formula to:
Round(.251,0)
the result is incorrectly:
-1.#IND0000%

The problem is repeatable across multiple forms and fields.  It breaks an important form we use 7 days a week.  I submitted a ticket to QuickBase, but in the past they did not respond on weekends.  Kinda puts us in a bind. 

Anyone else seeing this issue?

Thanks,

Glenn

------------------------------
Glenn Glenn

10 Replies

• I cannot duplicate that result, but when I do your formula
    Round(.251,0)

I get minus 1

ie

.. which is not correct.

If I just do Round(.125)  get 0 which is correct.

The default behaviour of Round is to round to zero decimals if the second parameter is omitted, but I do agree that there is something weird going on with round.  Its pretty odd since you would think that there is a risk of bugs at a release, but the new release is tomorrow, not today.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      MarkShnier__You
      Qrew Champion
      The bug I'm seeing is when you round to zero places.  The other rounding seems to work so far.

I tried to put in a support case but the support site won't load for me. 

Mark Shnier (YQC)
      Your Quick Base Coach
      mark.shnier@gmail.com
        GlennPhillips
        Qrew Trainee
        Interesting...  I did confirm FLOOR has same issue, gives the exact same wrong answer. I did not test CEIL but I bet it fails too.
        So, based on the info you provided, I found I can force by numeric percentage calculation from the error of..

Round(0.251, 0) = -1.#IND0000% (but should be 25%)

to work IF I "game it" like this...

Round(0.251 * 10, 0.01)  /  10 = 25%

So that confirms what you noticed Mark about the zero places. Thanks, that was helpful so now I'm pondering if I patch my formulas to keep us working until Monday or if someone will see this and the tickets over the weekend, even if it is the deployment team. 

The hard part of that is that I don't know an easy way to search all my formulas fields for a single  specific function (does anyone know such a method?)

As far as a cause, I wonder if they pushed a library out in advance of the code update coming?
        G

Glenn Glenn
  • Well, since it turned out to break other formulas dependent on the garbage, I think changing my code is much easier... chase the broken data.  Much easier than if the return was a valid but wrong number!

Glenn Glenn
      MarkShnier__You
      Qrew Champion
      I'm curious about your comment that you are considering changing software over concerns about the form.  I do you know that improvement of the form is on their roadmap and the basic form has not changed since the big very beginning of QuickBase.  What are the main limitations that are hurting you right now?

Mark Shnier (YQC)
      Your Quick Base Coach
      mark.shnier@gmail.com
        GlennPhillips
        Qrew Trainee

Hi Mark,
        It has been a great tool, we just have more complexity than the platform supports. Really, we've used this as a functional prototype tool as we've figured out our unusual business model. We use this for back-office management of real estate transactions as a brokerage in 32 states, and for back-office management of a multi-state real estate title insurance company.  

I really didn't want to invest the time in the API-backend of QB, which I'm sure would do more of what we need. But I can see our future is bigger.

So for an example, in the web UI version, freezing data points with SNAP has been good EXCEPT undoing them is not good. And we need to freeze lots of lookup data on each real estate contract that we can do admin override to correct if needed.

I do a lot of odd things to pull data between forms to match multiple scenarios that is really hacked. In a SQL environment, it would just be some simple views and queries.  

We also will need far more digital document management and interaction between digital form data points and our software.

And we need more interaction between our back-end system and our new website that is coming out soon. (You can see our current website at www.LakeHomes.com which attracted about 6 Million very active visitors last year).

I'm not casual in my assessment. I love the tool for most of what we do.  While I'm leadership now, my background is Computer Engineering and data system design and development (including Innovations Awards and case studies on our work from Harvard, Auburn Univ, Dell, etc.).

I anticipate the next generation of our system will be a three to four programmers/data engineers for a year, even with a good framework.  
        Appreciate the interest!

G

Glenn Glenn