Forum Discussion

NirajShah5
Qrew Member
5 years ago

Parent to Child relationship where the Child can select multiple parents?

I have a table of "Cases" and a table of "Attorneys" where many cases can belong to an attorney. Each case has a "Lead Attorney" but can have multiple "Assisting Attorneys". I am attempting to be able to have a multiple select list where I can select multiple assisting attorneys from the "Attorneys" table however I am not sure how to do this. Would the easiest solution be to create a new relationship where a case can have multiple attorneys?

------------------------------
Niraj Shah

5 Replies

• I suggest that your initial relationship is correct where you have one lead attorney has Many cases.

But then your next relationships will be the classic mini to mini situation. One assistant attorney has many cases but of course one case has many assisting attorneys.
    So the solution is to builds middle  table or a join table it is sometimes called Case Attorneys.

Then when viewing a case record, there  would be a lead attorney select from the drop-down at the top of the case and then there would be an embedded child  table of its assisting attorneys.

And conversely there would be a record for the attorney and it could list two separate tables. One table would be the table of cases where that attorney is the lead attorney, and a second embedded  report would be a list of the cases where that attorney is an assisting  attorney.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    markshnier2@gmail.com
      NirajShah5
      Qrew Member
      As always, thanks Mark. To paraphrase are you saying that I keep my Attorneys and Cases table and then create a new Case Attorneys table via where both the Lead Attorney and the Assisting Attorneys can be added by a relationship among all tables?

Niraj Shah