Forum Discussion

AnnettaColeman
Qrew Cadet
3 years ago

Pie Charts: How to pre-set consistent colors by label?

We have implemented a project intake and tracking system that currently spans ~400 projects.   Each project has 5 phases.    we have attractive dashboards for Portfolio Leaders, Project Managers and Stakeholders that include ability numerous filters to get to the right subset of project data for our users.  To view the number and percent of projects in various phases we utilize a pie chart with an associate gauge KPI to show the total.   This works very well except for colorization of the pie wedges.

Problem:   We have not discovered a way to pre-set the colors for the 5 phases.   Our corporate leaders are accustomed to Planning phase in blue, Executing phase in green, Delivering phase in magenta, etc.   If the data set the user chooses includes all 5 phases, the color them from the common pie chart report works as intended, but if the user chooses a filtered data set that includes only a subset of the data, then the pie chart demonstrates different colors (sometimes inverts colors and sometimes completely new colors).    How do we set the pie chart to consistently display the corporate phase colors based on their phase label?   

Thanks in advance for your advice.

------------------------------
Annetta Coleman

5 Replies

• Hi Annetta, 

Currently there is not a way to assign colors in a Pie Chart report that will stick if the data sets change like you mentioned. The chart reassesses the data and as a result colors do change when options are absent. That is feedback we have gotten from customers before but I definitely suggest since this is something important for your end users and corporate leaders to add that feedback into our feedback channel. You can find our feedback right in the Quickbase platform when you got to your My Apps page under the feedback tab. This way your request gets back to our product team to help them gauge how many users are interested in more specific colorization controls on pie charts and this feedback has helped them prioritize new features and work many times in the past.

Evan Martinez
  • I just discovered this issue and that is quite annoying. Annetta, did you ever create feedback for this? If so I will definitely upvote.

Mike Tamoush
      AnnettaColeman
      Qrew Cadet
      Although I entered a case (not solved) I did not create feedback at the time.   I have done so now.

Annetta Coleman
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        To chime in on this one I had a bunch of stacked bar chart reports and randomly some of the reports were essentially choosing versions of black for every slice of the bar. I believe they were actually different colours except totally towards the black end of the scale so on the chart they all look black.

Mark Shnier (Your Quickbase Coach)
        mark.shnier@gmail.com