Forum Discussion

JamesDalton
Qrew Trainee
3 years ago

Pipeline speed and workarounds.

I have been testing my pipelines that I have migrated from automations and they run much slower comparatively. A process that took maybe 5 seconds max to do in my automations, now takes 40 seconds to 2 minutes.

I understand the Blaze engine was supposed to make pipelines faster, but the speed is still a far cry from the autos.

I put in a support ticket to see if this was normal for the steps the pipelines were using. The response that I got, was that it was normal and that while pipelines are slower, they scale better than autos. 

Most of my pipelines are triggered by creation or update events.

A common process in my app is when a user enters in data on a parent record which gets copied to a child record. The parent record that triggered the event is updated to have the input-text cleared from the field for future use.

Here is why I did this.

Most of the users in my company are looking at many different tabs, windows, Outlook, shared folders, and remote desktop screens while they are doing their work. I wanted to make record creation and updating as convenient as possible by minimizing the amount of child records that they had to go into.

The solution that I originally had, was to have automations allow users to make all of the child records that they needed while inside of a parent record. It worked worked perfectly.

I have tried other methods like embedding child forms on the parent via iframe, but they are hard on the eyes and they do not work. There was also the option of having the child form appear as a pop-up, which I wanted to avoid as users are inundated with enough visual stimuli . 

In the image below, other tabs in this record like Referrals, Notes, and Quotes, represent child records which relied on the same autos described above.

Generally, this process translated to pipelines is this:
1.) Record Update (parent record updates).
2.) Create Record (child record created).
3.) Prepare Bulk Upsert (staging parent record to have input-text cleared).
4.) Search Records (search for parent record that triggered event).
5.) For Each Record (only one record in most cases)
6.) Add Bulk Upsert Row(add blank formula-text field that clears the input)
7.) Commit Upsert (merges upsert changes to parent record)

For anyone who has migrated automations to pipelines, do you have any tips or work-arounds to make things faster?

Also, will pipeline performance improve soon?

Thank You,
James

------------------------------
James Dalton

4 Replies

• My only suggestion is to have something - maybe a form rule set a date time stamp when the pipeline would have been triggered and then the last step of the pipeline can set a time stamp when it completes.  Then use those time stamps to provide feedback via an icon or message to let the user know that "you child record are being created... Please refresh ....."

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      JamesDalton
      Qrew Trainee
      Thanks, I'll consider that.

James Dalton
        MikeTamoush
        Qrew Commander
        James,

Unfortunately I agree, that this is just the way it is. I had planned on using automations for anything I needed completed instantly, and Pipelines for all processes requiring complexity. This was a perfect solution for me, so I was quite disappointed when they announced automatons are going away. I kept hoping that with enough pushback, they would leave automations, but I've lost hope. I have roughly 100 automations I need to switch over to Pipelines, and am not looking forward to it.

Mike Tamoush