Forum Discussion

DelynnMontrose
Qrew Trainee
5 years ago

Populating another field from a selected Text - Multiple Choice field

I am VERY new to Quick Base so please forgive my ignorance.
I have a table that contains a contact name and their phone number.
I have the name in a Text - Multiple Choice field on a form and I would like to have the Phone number populated when I select a contact name. I would appreciate any help with this I just can't seem to figure out the trick to doing this.
Thanks

------------------------------
Delynn M.

5 Replies

• No problem
    Down and dirty multiple choice fields are best used for simple drop downs with just a few choices.  For example Yes/ No or Approved / Rejected.  But when you get either to a lot of choices or when there is extra information to be pulled in as a result of that choice, then the way to go is to set up a table for these choices.  Here is some help on Relationships.  https://help.quickbase.com/user-assistance/creating_a_relationship.html  Post back if you have more questions about Relationships.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    markshnier2@gmail.com
      DelynnMontrose
      Qrew Trainee
      Thanks yes I have the values in a separate table. The list is fairly small.
      Example: This is the contact table

This is on a form that references ContactName
      When the user selects a name from the list I want it to fill in Contact Number.

Delynn Montrose
      214-282-7440

Virus-free. www.avg.com

------Original Message------

No problem
      Down and dirty multiple choice fields are best used for simple drop downs with just a few choices.  For example Yes/ No or Approved / Rejected.  But when you get either to a lot of choices or when there is extra information to be pulled in as a result of that choice, then the way to go is to set up a table for these choices.  Here is some help on Relationships.  https://help.quickbase.com/user-assistance/creating_a_relationship.html  Post back if you have more questions about Relationships.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
      Quick Base Solution Provider
      Your Quick Base Coach
      http://QuickBaseCoach.com
      markshnier2@gmail.com
        LeoSanchez
        Qrew Trainee
        Hi Delynn,
        Hope this helps.
        Create a one to many relationship between your tables: CONTACTS have many FORMS.
        Add the lookup phone number.
        When you enter a new form, all the contact options will be listed as a drop-down menu and the phone number will be auto populated based on your selection.

Leo Leo
  • I would suggest you make two tables. The first table would contain the contact information such as name and phone number. The second table would be the table you want to select the contact. You would create a relationship between the two tables. You can then select the contact and their data will pre populate. 

You will need to ensure when you create the relationship you add the contact information fields you want displayed are selected as lookup fields. 

Click Here for a short video I made to show you how I would do it.

ProjectsForce
      BabiPanjikar
      Qrew Assistant Captain
      Adding to this, you can still store the contact while saving the form using dynamic form rules to update field value from a lookup contact field and show that field during view.

Babi Panjikar