Forum Discussion

MattHolmen
Qrew Member
3 years ago

Populating Multi-Select from a different table with filtering.

I have a table called trades:

That table contains a name field and 2 checkbox fields:

I have a from on another table that has 2 multi-select boxes.  Currently each of those multiselects is populated using the input type:

However, what I need to do is to only populate those fields based on if the correct checkbox is checked on the Trades table.

For example:

Dropdown 1 on Table 2: This only pulls in that Trade Names when the Site Development checkbox is checked.

The only way I can think of at this point is via a pipeline, but I am not even sure that would work the way I want it to since I believe that would a 20 field line limit. Doing it this way now does not have that limit.

Thanks

------------------------------
Matt Holmen

3 Replies

• I would create a formula-text field for each checkbox type that would display the name only if the correct checkbox is checked and use the formula field as the multi-select input type.

Ahuva Brown
      MattHolmen
      Qrew Member
      I will have to give that a try. I think I made it more complicated by creating a new table for each type and using pipelines to populate it.

This way sounds much simpler and less processing intensive.

Matt Holmen
  • Hi Matt,

If you are looking to be able to select multiple Trades and assign them to your records and be able to apply a filter based on other values in your field your best bet is to actually create what is known as a many to many relationship. This would mean your table you currently have your multi select on and your Trades would both be set up as a parent of a middle table called Trade Assignments, then because that table sits in the middle you can set up the record picker coming from Trades with a custom report where you can control what filters you want to use to dictate what records should show up. This way the list can change as the reporting does but will also still keep any historic values. When I do this I tend to just set up the embedded report from the child table to be a grid editable report. It takes a little extra work to get it set up but does allow the level of filtering you are looking for.

Evan Martinez