Forum Discussion

CandaceGregory
Qrew Member
5 years ago

Populating the most recent text from the child table to the parent table

Hi all,
I am trying to update the project record with the most recent comments from the task.  I have 2 tables, Projects (parent) and Tasks (child).  I would like to populate a most recent comments field from the Tasks table to the Projects table.  Any advice is greatly appreciated!  

------------------------------
Candace Gregory
New but eager to learn

6 Replies

• Dear New but eager to learn
    No Problem.

I am assuming that what you mean is to locate the most recently modified Task for the Project and then float up the comment from that Task up to the Parent.

Make a summary field on the Relationship between the Projects and Tasks to summarize the Maximum [Date Last Modified].  Name the field [Tasks Date Last Modified]

Lookup[Tasks Date Last Modified] down to tasks.

Now, make a summary field on the relationship again, but this time select combined text summary of the comments field and then limit the Summary to just tasks where the [Tasks Date Last Modified] equal the [Date Last Modified].

Now the Project will have the comment but it will appear in a "pill" multi select type format.

If that bothers you make a new formula text field to use on records and reports

ToText([Most Recent Task Comment combined text format])

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    markshnier2@gmail.com
      CandaceGregory
      Qrew Member
      Perfect!  Thank you very much!

Candace Gregory
        AnnettaColeman
        Qrew Cadet
        This older community thread answers one of my current questions.   Thanks!

Annetta Coleman
      LeoSanchez
      Qrew Trainee
      Hi Mark,
      But what happens if the parent record is modify but no new comments were added at that point?
      Wouldn't the formula be broken since the last comment modified will not be equal to the last modify date on the record?
      I thought the solution might be to trim the last task or comment on a log field.
      Maybe I was not understanding the original question.

Leo Leo
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion
        My proposed solution does not use the [Last Modified date] of the Parent.  It it fits obtains the last Modified date of all tasks for that project to identify the tasks which has the comment we need.  Then we look that up down to all task records to be able to have a tier summary field, of the combined text from all tasks records (probably just 1 Record) where that lucky task is the one that matches as being the most recently modified task.

i suppose that summary field could also be modified to only summarize tasks which do that a non blank comment.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        markshnier2@gmail.com