Forum Discussion

vijaysingh
Qrew Cadet
5 years ago

Regarding Automation failure due to number of records exceed max 1000 limit

Hi Team,

I have created an automation however it's getting failed with Action Execution Exception: Number of records returned exceeded max of 1000. 

Records which are getting updated are more than 1000 in count.. What needs to be done in such scenarios.

Thanks,
Vijay

------------------------------
vijay singh

11 Replies

• You can split this into multiple Automations or probably a better suggestion if your are editing records is to use a saved table to table import which runs extremely quickly and has no limit on the number of records. I don't know what the nature of the updates you are doing to know if that is an option for you, but you can import a table into itself merging on Record ID and update a data entry field from a formula field.

But if you want to keep using your same method, you can for example use the REM function on the Record ID to determine the remainder when say divided by 3.  REM([Record ID#],3) will return either a 0, 1 or a 2.

So you can add that as a filter to the Automation and run 3 separate Automations and each would be 1/3rd of the data.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    markshnier2@gmail.com
      vijaysingh
      Qrew Cadet
      Thanks Mark.. 

I will try the Remainder option as table to table import won't work in my case .. 

Also another quick question if you can help - Was trying to create an automation to populate a TEXT field which is also a Primary Key in that table..This column was made PK as need to join another table using this column. Column value could be derived by combining another 2 columns in the same table so no need to make it for manual entry for the users to fill in. 

Here is the challenge- 

Initially i thought of  creating an action where if a record is added in that table then modify this column with another formula field (contains calculated PK value), but i don't see this PK column in the modify section to get formula field value assign to it. 

Later i though of creating 2 actions, add a record with PK column value from formula field and delete the already added record (PK column was set to populate with default value).. This works but then i am unnecessarily creating an extra record here which is triggering other actions too..

So thought of checking if there is a easy way to create an automation to update the PK column from a formula field.

Thanks,
      Vijay

vijay singh
        MarkShnier__You
        Icon for Qrew Legend rankQrew Legend
        Automations, Actions and Webhooks all fire after the record is saved.  The only way to pre-populate a field is using form rules, as they can populate a field at all times and also "when the record is saved". 

So if the data entry is manual on a form, then you can use a form rule, alternatively, your solution sounds like it would work, save the record with a temporary Key fields and then use an Automation to recreate the record with a correct Key field and then delete the temporary one.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        markshnier2@gmail.com