Forum Discussion

RyanHuffman
Qrew Cadet
4 years ago

Report Showing Only Non-Related Records?

I have a table report on one of our scheduling apps that is supposed to display staff assignment records that share a date with the DAY record being edited but not the staff assignments related to that DAY record.

To try to put that in English, it's a report on the DAY record page that shows which staff members are busy on that day but only with other day records.

In the past, I was generating the full report of staff assignments sharing the date and then using a clunky IOL and JQuery script to remove the rows that shared a job# with the current record but now that I need to clean all that up and ditch the IOL, I'm having trouble conceiving how I might generate this report dynamically when a user loads the DAY record page because I cannot filter the report in the settings (there's nothing to filter on until a DAY record is chosen).

Any ideas on how I might achieve this? I can provide more details, if necessary. I know the first reply a lot of times is "I have no idea what you're talking about" but I think we're all toeing the line on what we can and can't share while still getting our point across. Thanks!

------------------------------
Ryan Huffman

3 Replies

• np (probably)
    When you go to McDonald's they try to sell you the full meal deal but in fact if you insist they will just sell you fries. 

Similarly, when you make a relationship, you get a report link field included in the deal but there is nothing stopping you from creating a report link field on its own. 

A Report link field just runs any report off any table in your whole Realm (not even just that app) and it adds the extra filter of the two fields in the report configuration need to match each other.

So ....

I am assuming from the description you posted that the D record is for a particular date and hence the day record knows the date.  

Presumably the staff assignment records also know the date.  

So, create a Report Link field and configure the two date fields to match.

That will allow you to show all the Assignments and which Day they are assigned to.

Now going this far will not allow you to filter as to which records are or are not assigned to the D record you were on.  

If you need that to happen then it can be done but it's a little more complicated. And the user would have to push a button on that record.  

Let me know whether I got you at least partway into understanding a solution.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    mark.shnier@gmail.com
      RyanHuffman
      Qrew Cadet
      Thanks for the reply, Mark!

I think I've already made it to that point. I have a report table on the form that displays all staff assignment (SA) records on the date of the current D record, related or not, it's the last bit (removing the related SA records from that report) that has me stumped and from your reply a little worried about the alternative here. 
      Ideally, and from a user experience standpoint, I would like the records in this report to be filtered automatically (without the user needing to push a button). There is no situation where those records would need to be shown in that report so I think asking someone to click a button to achieve something we're doing automatically right now is a step in the wrong direction and I'm going to get pushback from users on that one.

Ryan Huffman
        MarkShnier__You
        Qrew Champion
        My suggestion would be to hide the report until the user pushes the button.  I can see a way fo the report link field to know which record the user is on unless they are willing to push a button.

Mark Shnier (YQC)
        Quick Base Solution Provider
        Your Quick Base Coach
        http://QuickBaseCoach.com
        mark.shnier@gmail.com