Forum Discussion

IvanWeiss
Qrew Captain
5 years ago

Require a field based on URL Button for Status Update

Hi everyone,

In my app I have a CRM function and a series of buttons for updating the status.  The reason I am using buttons is that when you change the status I am using the button to create tasks, and other automated functions.

One of my statuses is "lost" signaling the opportunity was lost.  When this happens I want to request the user to input why for data tracking.  However, I cannot require the field until the status changes to lost.  And since it is a button form rules wont work here....

Any advice on how to do this best? I was debating on some form of javascript capture but I have no idea how to do that do not sure if that is the best way to go....

------------------------------
Ivan Weiss

3 Replies

• Hey Ivan,
    I've been implementing something similar for a client this week. Here's what I've done:

Create a second form for the table, which contains just the fields you need to identify the Opportunity and the "lost reason" field you want to require. On this form, make the "lost reason" field required. 

Change your button from running automations to displaying the current record on the new form in edit mode.

Then create an automation to kick off your processes for a lost opportunity, but trigger it based on the Opportunity record being edited and the "lost reason" field being filled in.

Happy to help more getting this set up during Data Collaborative's free office hours! 
    DC Office Hours Sign-up
    Quickbase remove preview
    DC Office Hours Sign-up
    When you bring additional fields into a conversion, Quick Base often finds inconsistencies. For example, say you're converting your Companies column into its own table. One company, Acme Corporation, has offices in New York, Dallas and Portland. So, when you add the City column to the conversion, Quick Base finds three different locations for Acme.
    View this on Quickbase >

Sam Jones
      IvanWeiss
      Qrew Captain
      Sam sorry for the SUPER slow response as COVID kind of took me on a detour work wise from a priority standpoint.  But I did now implement this and it works beautifully.  Thanks again!

Ivan Weiss
        SamJones1
        Qrew Cadet
        No worries, Ivan! If you need more help, hit me up.

- Sam

The Data Collaborative, Inc.
        sjones@datacollaborative.com
        366 Massachusetts Ave, Suite 203 | Arlington, MA 02474