Forum Discussion

MitchKoyle
Qrew Trainee
5 years ago

Require Child Records

Are there any techniques or best practices to enforce the creation of child records in Quick Base? We have some tables in which the parent record must have children. So far, I don't have an effective way of requiring, or forcing the creation of the child records. I am currently reminding, or notifying users that they need to create the child records. I'm interested in how others have approached this.

6 Replies

• Outrageously large red warnings on the form?

------------------------------
    Mark Shnier (YQC)
    Quick Base Solution Provider
    Your Quick Base Coach
    http://QuickBaseCoach.com
    markshnier2@gmail.com
      MitchKoyle
      Qrew Trainee
      Yeah, already doing that. Also, sending a notification after a certain amount of time has passed to remind them to go back and create the child record.

Mitch Koyle
  • Hi Mitch,

Some people have also set up Subscriptions to go out regularly to remind people the next day of any records that do not have Child records added along with instructions of what they need to do. To follow up for those people who rush through and don't make all the required records.

Evan Martinez
    Community Marketing Manager
    Quick Base
      MitchKoyle
      Qrew Trainee
      Thanks Evan, I'm doing that for one of the tables in question. I was hoping maybe someone had come up with some other technique.

Mitch Koyle
        AndrewFry
        Qrew Assistant Captain
        To kind of piggy back on Mark's idea, I have a parent record that before it can move to the next "status" (level, area, what have you), certain fields have to be filled in. Some of them are child records ... or more specifically fields within child records.

I built a bunch of summary fields, one for each field that needed to be filled in, to indicate if that field has data or not. I also created summary fields to indicate how many children records a parent record had.

I then took all those summary fields and pushed them up to the top of the pecking order, and built a text formula field to list which fields, or required items, are not completed, based off of those summary fields. The results are big and red (hence the piggy back off of mark's comment ... plus he helped steer me in the right direction.)

Also, if that summary field has any items listed, essentially if it is not blank, then the parent record cannot move through the automation to the next stage.

I have a report built for each rep indicating which parent records fall into the "missing items" group, list which items are missing, and then they can manage their own records. Management can also have access to that report, and a whole bunch of stuff can be done with it.

You can still do notifications and subscriptions to capture those stragglers that hand out there, but for the most part, this has worked well for us! Hopefully it does the same for you.

The one downside I currently am facing is that I may have multiple children records to a single parent record, and although my setup indicates which field is missing the required info, it doesn't indicate which child record for that parent record is the culprit. I am working on that one still, so hopefully I find a solution soon.

Good luck!

Andrew Fry