Forum Discussion

RoxanneZiegler
Qrew Trainee
10 years ago

salary review form and auto update

I have created a table in my employee database for salary review - this is too keep track of current salary and pay increases.

Is there a way to take the current salary field which is a currency field in the employee table update automatically when a new salary is entered in another table.

I have a relationship many reviews belong to 1 employee record

When "adding" a new review there will be a date field of the new salary increase and the new salary. When this is entered I want the original salary field in the employee table to update. hope that makes sense

Or if anyone else has suggestions on how to make this work I am def up for ideas - I am not too savvy in QB however I have built it from the ground up

thanks

3 Replies

• no problem,

Let me give you an OK solution and a better solution.

Here is the OK solution:

You have a relationship where 1 Employee (EE) has many salary reviews.

Make a summary of the maximum of the Salary Review [Record ID#]. Call it [Record ID# of most recent Salary review by record ID#]

Now make a reverse relationship where 1 salary review is related to many Employees. On the right side of the relationship will be that field [Record ID# of most recent Salary review by record ID#]. Then just do a "lookup" of the salary review and the effective date up to the EE record.

That will work fine if you ALWAYS enter the salary reviews in sequence so that the highest record IDis the most recent.

A better way is to do a summary field of the Maximum of the Effective Date of the salary increase. Lookuop that down to the salary review table.

Then do another summary field of the maximum record ID where the Effective date = that lookup of tyhe maximum effective date.

Then do that reverse relationship as described above. That will ensure that the record you are grabbing is the one with the most current effective date, and not the highest record ID.
      RogerSimpson
      Qrew Member
      I'm having trouble replicating this. Is there another way you could explain this?
      QuickBaseCoachD
      Qrew Captain
      You would have to either book time with me on a one on one basis or else post a more specific question as to where you got stuck in trying what I suggested.  I can be reached via the contact me page on my website QuickBaseCoach.com