Forum Discussion

JordanBeatty1
Qrew Captain
6 years ago

Send information within Quickbase to an external URL

Well, I haven't been around here for 1 year since my coop ended at the place I was at that was using Quickbase but they asked for help on something so now I got some questions with some more advanced stuff. 

Scenario

Sister company has custom reporting software to auto fill documents.We would like to use it as well. I just need to get the info out of Quickbase and send it to the URL I have been given.

My Research

From what I have gathered searching, this will take a custom code page, since I can click and API call to get an XML dump on my page natively but I can't redirect it  natively

I have two options from reviewing the API, either get record info or do query. Given I do not need to get all of the fields out of a record, I feel that do query is my best option.

Desired Method of Use

I have made so many nested URL buttons, for user friendliness, I would like to keep it a button. So from what I gathered, I will have them click the button that loads the custom code page to send the data.

First Step

I am now starting to work on a hard coded page. In this page, I am essentially going to hard code 

<query>{3.EX.6201}</query>

Which should return the information from only one record as record ID 6201 is distinct since it is the primary key for that table(for the time being I am just returning one field till I know it is working). I will know its working because I can keep swapping record ID I am hard coding and watch the field I am returning changing.

So the real challenge I am asking is, in a formula URL button that will load the custom code page, how can I pass the record ID from the record they are in to the API request as something like 

URLRoot() & "db/" & [_DBID_CLAIMS_OR_PROJECTS] & "?a=API_DoQuery&udata=mydata&query={3.EX." & [Record ID#] & "}&clist=6.7&fmt=structured"

Won't work in a code page

2 Replies